Old September 23rd 20, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default I approved of a road bike on a sidewalk.

On 9/22/2020 7:48 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

This afternoon, I looked across the street, saw a road bike on the
sidewalk, and told my companion the rider was doing right.

Those narrow tires slice into fresh, hot asphalt.

Friday around rush hour, my wife and I rode the tandem to our favorite
deli, about a ten mile round trip. The deli's on a busy arterial that we
avoided by using back streets. The last of those popped us out on facing
that arterial on a steep little uphill, waiting for a break in traffic.
(It's always a bit difficult to start the tandem on an uphill.) I said
to my wife "It's only 100 feet to the driveway. I should have used the
sidewalk."

On the other hand, it was many years ago that I stopped in a store about
200 yards farther on that same street, also at rush hour. The store I
stopped at didn't have the oddball microphone cable I needed, but I
thoght another store two doors further on might. I looked at the fierce
traffic and said "I'll just take the sidwalk, slowly."

I was very nearly right hooked at the only intersecting driveway.

--
- Frank Krygowski