Old September 27th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Holy Cow! was: I approved of a road bike on a sidewalk.

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 11:23:45 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I wish I could take the mayor for a ride.

Perhaps someone did. I went to look at the pylons this morning, and
there weren't any.

It's more likely that the street department said "Okay, the mayor has
had his fun; we want our pylons back."

At any rate, it was safe to ride on Main today (light traffic, so I
could ride in the middle and move into the "buffered bike lane" only
when someone was overtaking.

I think that "buffered" means that they have marked the left half of
the anti-bike lane with diagonal lines. I should have gotten off and
measured it. It's *way* too narrow to allow four feet of clearance
just by "alert drivers that the bike lanes are not intended for
motorized travel".

Not to mention that there are driveways every few feet on the "bike
lane" side of the street.

I went back to the newspaper for 22nd September for the quote, and
noticed that it is a "month-long bicycle-lane education program" that
continues "through October", so I guess it hasn't started yet.

Pity my current printer doesn't work on sticky labels. They are
putting up yard signs.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net