Old November 16th 20, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Stepping up

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 12:49:35 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

And I think going up stairs is much more strenuous per step, or per
revolution, than riding a bike. On stairs, during each step you take
your leg supports your entire body weight. On a bike the force on your
leg is normally much less.

One year I came back from the September Century saying someting like
"I can't believe I finished when I never had time to ride more than
fifty miles in practice."

My spouse pointed out that we lived in a house with three levels: the
kitchen was on the ground floor and the food was in the basement. We
kept our clothes and linens two flights above the washing machine --
and I had to run down and up the cellar steps every time the spin
cycle ran, because the plumbing was below the sewer line and automatic
pump switches were not reliable.

Once I ran down one fewer steps than there were, and I was still lame
when we took a bus tour to see The Phantom of the Opera.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net