Old December 29th 04, 10:11 PM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-12-29, maxo wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:35:35 -0600, Preston Crawford wrote:

Hold on to that bike shop like grim death. (And buy 'em a case of beer when
all sorted out.)

Definitely. Quite amazing in times like these to get that kind of service.

Preston

Sound like great guys. Often guys in bike shops will go out of their way
to make things more than right when it's a bike that they find
interesting, or it's a potential learning experience. It's a slow time of
year, investing their time in your problem, is both fun compared to other
mundane shop tasks, and potentially good for business--I'll certainly shop
there the next time I'm in Portland. :P

Do. They are great guys, and really seemed to enjoy the process as well.
It wasn't just work, which is nice to see. I personally (as a computer
programmer sick of my field) would love to get trained to wrench and do
that for a living for a while. I think it looks like fun. I just suck at
it right now. I'm not very mechanical in that regard. Doesn't mean I don't
respect it/think it looks like fun.

As far as being good for business goes, he doesn't know me from the guy on
the street. So the fact that he's going to this extent, shoes that he does
care about everyone who walks in the door, which is cool. And from what my
wife tells me, this isn't desparation or anything. Apparently this shop is
*the* shop people from up and down the west coast come to for their
Triathlon needs, as it's also a huge Triathlon and Tri-bike shop.

When I was looking for a Shimano DX cog for my single a while back, they
begged me to bring in my bike so we could share notes. I spent five bucks
and an hour gabbing with the wrenches. It works both ways.

I asked if they wanted help last night with lame stuff like the bottle
cages, but they were moving so quickly they said "no problem" and sped
along.

Preston