Old August 5th 10, 07:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Why America can have better bicycling than Europe

On Aug 5, 7:59 am, Kenneth O'Brien wrote:
On Aug 5, 2010, at 10:22 AM, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of wrote:

On Aug 4, 6:17 pm, Kenneth O'Brien wrote:
The 99% of the American people who do NOT dare ride a bike on the road
probably agrees with me.

I'm actually overstating the number, since the share of commuters by
bike is 0.4%.

Look that over. You just mixed two different things. 1) Americans who don't dare ride a bike on the roadway and 2) commuting share by bike. You do realize that is two entirely different things, yes? And you realize if you jump around like that you can't make any kind of sensible point, yes?

I do not care about training cyclists looking for fun, performance or
whatever on a bike. They don't care about others either. That's a
hobby. The revolution is for the SUB (Sport Utility Bike)

OK. But the commuting share isn't at whatever it is because 1 minus that number fraction of the public wouldn't DARE ride their bike on the road. There is a million and one things that add up to commute share.

Ken

Yeah, but the big factor is F-E-A-R.

I had job just TWO miles away, and I just hesitated to do it. I also
hesitate to do that distance in any other direction.

The big hope is the new Velib program coming to Miami Beach, and
rescuing the reputation of the cyclist. H-O-P-E-F-U-L-L-Y.

Around here, people just ride crappy bikes on the sidewalk, and the
occasional pro cyclists darting by on weekends.