Old September 19th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

Default Trials Discussion Thread

I wear board shorts, or dickies black pants. When you ride SIF you
don't want to have the back of the seat pressing on your pants. You do
have it close, but try not to have the back of the seat pushing into
your legs.

The more you practice, the better you get at it. And your legs get
used to it, the more you ride SIF. One way to practice is what I call
the "Baldwin Squats." To warm up for a trials ride, I take my seat out
in front of me, and squat with my unicycle, trying to get down really
far while pushing my seat way out in front of me. Then, I ride 100 or
so feat seat out, all the while trying to relax my arm and legs into
letting me put the seat really far out in front of me, and I also squat
down and ride the last half of that 100 feet in this way. It should
get to the point, in your riding, that you don't consciously 'feel'
your arm holding on to the seat. You'll be more focused on what you're
riding, what you're doing, your lines.

It's the same with hopping. The first time I tried hopping, my fingers
hurt the next day from holding on to the seat. The pain didn't go away
until I let things heal, and take hopping one step at a time, until my
body was used to it. Now, even wearing gloves, I have callouses on my
fingers in the joint areas, where I hold onto my seat.

Hope that helps.

--
TrialsUni
http://www.usenet.com