Old January 2nd 09, 12:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monocyclism

Default Choosing a MUni

I recently bought my first unicycle from Unicycle.com. It is called a
24" Dodger. It was classed as a beginners model and to my untrained eye
it does look a little basic compared to more expensive unicycles I see.
This is a link to it:

http://tinyurl.com/a3ol6g

Now I want to upgrade. I have learnt to ride and have begun to take
this unicycle off road - as can be seen in my avatar pic. It is awkward
because it doesn't have a front handle on the seat (I just grip the
front), the tyre is not off-road and all-together I expect I am pushing
it too far - even though I make progress and don't fall off to much on
slightly uneven ground.

My problem is I dont know what MUni specification I need - i.e. size of
wheel, spokes and hub specification, crank length, the best seat for the
job etc.

Will I find a really big noticeable difference between riding a more
expensive MUni off-road compared to my learner model? Where could the
difference show? I appreciate the tyre is a big issue - but what size,
what profile, what pressure? What about the seat? I realise the seat
handle is an improvement - but can the actual seat itself be designed
better to sit on - owing to, say, a better shape?

Any feedback I can get would be appreciated.

--
monocyclism