Old July 25th 07, 04:11 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

Default Mountain biker killed by bear in BC

On Jul 25, 7:54 am, "Jeff Strickland" wrote:

Mike will tell you that his agenda is bike tires, but it is really
rubber.
Rubber belongs on cement, not dirt. That is Mike's real agenda.

I agree.

You agree that it is his agenda, or you agree with his agenda?

The first completely, the second partly...but I won't get into that
now, because with you I would have an intelligent discussion, but with
Mike it will turn into a spitting match.

In a furtherance of this thread's story, here is a news bulletin. It
really sheds little light on whether the cyclist was actually riding
or stationary when attacked. That could make a difference; but that
fact may never be known. In any case, it pays to be prepared in bear
country. I still find the whole thing a little suspicious, but I
wasn't there...

Bruce Jensen
****************

Autopsy shows bear killed cyclist

CanWest News Service
Published: Wednesday, July 25, 2007
A Calgary woman was indeed killed by a black bear as she was mountain
biking, an autopsy has found.

All signs pointed to Robin Kochorek being killed by the bear Saturday
or Sunday, but Tuesday's autopsy made it definitive.

"The pathologist confirmed the bear was responsible for her death,"
said B.C. conservation officer Paul Visentin.

The results make Kochorek the Panorama Resort area's first victim of a
fatal bear mauling. She had been found halfway down the mountain
Sunday being guarded by a small, brown-nosed black bear about half a
km off Panorama's marked trails.

Visentin said he didn't yet know whether the autopsy shed any light on
whether she was attacked from behind.

Meanwhile, at Panorama on Tuesday, Kochorek's death wasn't changing
much for any of the mountain bikers venturing into the wilderness.

The Kochorek family said they still have many questions about the 31-
year-old speech language pathologist's death, including why the
cycling trails remained open despite reports of an aggressive bear in
the vicinity on the day of the incident.