Old March 24th 09, 12:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Light of Aria[_2_]

Default I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

wrote in message
On Mar 24, 3:02 am, "Light of Aria"

you are burning 1000 kcal per hour ???? or do you cruise after 6
minutes or so burning about half that per hour ?

1000 KiloCal's would be one hour of BodyAttack, 50 minutes run, or a one
hour high speed cycle chase or "Spin" equivelent.

I aim for 3,000 KCals a night 6 days a week, and average between 17,000
and
19,000 KCals per week (multi-sport).

On Friday's I do 2,000 KCal's in the morning, and then 2,000 KCal's in the
evening!

I get to my club in 15 minutes (always timed) and that uses about 300ish
KiloCals!

Sound's correct to me!

Sometimes I am knackered though and pottle along at half the pace on the
way
home.

The typical number I have seen for the efficiency of converting fuel
energy to work for a human is 25%. 100Kcal in 6 minutes is 1163 watts
or about 290 watts of work. Of course the actual work would be less
since 100Kcal/6 minutes includes other energy use. Remembering that
the 290 watt number comes from a heart rate monitor so it is just a
crude guess, this is within reason.

jon

AFAIR, 290-ish Watts/per hour is around about the number I see flash up on
"Gym" C.V. equipment too, sometimes lower, on exceptions and short bursts
higher too.