Old April 4th 07, 06:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gumby

Default Chain cleaning solvents

suzyj wrote:
Hi guys,

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains, but it became shockingly
expensive (nobody had it at the bowser anymore) so I changed to
petrodiesel, which has been pretty good for getting gunk off chains.

Last night I filled the car up with biodiesel, and I started to wonder
if it's any good for cleaning chains. From what I've read on the web,
it's a better solvent than petrodiesel (in as much as it removes
deposits from your fuel system so they can gum up filters and
injectors), and it's certainly safer to store than petrodiesel, having
a higher flash-point.

I wonder if it might be less of a skin irritant, too...

So has anyone tried it? I'm kicking myself now for not tsaking a fuel
container with me last night when I filled the car...

I use the mechanical chain cleaner and sugar soap. Seems to work pretty
well.