Old August 16th 04, 04:14 AM
Bill Baka

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:49:51 -0700, Zoot Katz
wrote:

15 Aug 2004 14:05:57 -0700,
,
(Douglas Harrington) wrote:

Is it better/cheaper to build a bike or to buy one pre-built? (And
what sites are there that sell bikes/parts?)

Not sure if I could build or buy a better bike with a few hundred
dollars but am interested in seeing whats out there (and building one
would be a nice project).

If you're in or near an urban centre you might find various non-profit
groups involved with recycling bikes. They usually have workshops and
lots of bikes and parts. You can learn a lot by volunteering at a
place like that and be able to build yourself up a decent bike quite
cheaply.

Kind of what I do, watching garage sales and waiting to see what didn't
sell. "Hey are you going to throw that out? I'll take it.". Between that
and Ebay I have a lot of bike parts. The cheap "Jack Benny" approach.
FWIW, I fix all the neighborhood kids bikes.
Bill Baka

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/