Old March 19th 21, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Channeling Andrew

On 3/18/2021 8:35 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/18/2021 3:16 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I'm channeling Andrew here, posting the bad bike news:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bicyclist...115205702.html

The article's conclusion says:

"The Downtown Development Authority has been working with
the Florida Department of Transportation to install gates
that would block people from going under the arms, Miami
Commissioner Ken Russell said.

“To me, this is about cycling safety and making sure the
city, county and state have the right infrastructure to make
cycling safe for everyone in the city.”

I'm reminded of my time as a plant engineer, when the plant
safety committee inspected a machine installation of mine
and required additional guarding. It was not enough that an
employee couldn't accidentally hurt himself. It must be
impossible for an employee to _deliberately_ hurt himself.

But you can't really make things foolproof. Fools are too
determined and ingenious.

I see a few every week but I took Mr Lieberman's critique to heart and
stopped sharing.

The interested reader could probably find the two Citi Bike customers
robbed of their crappy heavy rentals in NYC at knifepoint today. Now
there's a game not worth the candle.

I was astonished that someone would try the trick this guy tried - to
"beat" a rising drawbridge, as might be portrayed in some action movie,
but using (say) a Porsche.

Part of my interest may have been triggered by an event in Amsterdam a
couple years ago. My wife, a friend and I were walking around the city
when we stopped on a bridge to gaze at a canal scene. Then some noise
started up - a bell or whistle, I forget - and we looked around
wondering what it was. Turns out we were standing on a drawbridge that
was about to open.

We didn't try any daredevil moves. We got off the bridge immediately.

--
- Frank Krygowski