Old June 25th 12, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
SMS

Default Beyond bike lanes

On 6/22/2012 12:20 PM, Király wrote:
In rec.bicycles.misc Frank wrote:
Here's an excellent talk on the problems that bike lanes impose, and a
solution to those problems. I think it's well worth half an hour of
watching& listening, and worth sharing.

http://vimeo.com/43603867

THANK YOU Frank, for posting this. I agree 100% with the presentation.
I will be sharing this link with the local cycling advocacy organziation
in Vancouver, who in recent years has been undoing decades of proper
bicyling advocacy, by screaming for separated bike lanes. Trying to get
bikes off of the road is the last thing a cycling advocacy org should be
doing.

Actually you should look at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBdf9jYj7o. A coherent network of
properly designed and interconnected bicycle path is what led to the
Netherlands becoming the leading bicycle-centric country. More cycling,
fewer fatal accidents.

The problem in the U.S. is that the cycle paths are often poorly
designed and there are large gaps in the system, so it's often safer to
avoid them entirely. Giving up on the optimal solution may be easier,
but it's not looking at the big picture, and it will make eventually
getting to a system like they have in Amsterdam much more difficult.