Old May 21st 21, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Centuar Ultra-t-shift sstem

On Fri, 21 May 2021 07:28:10 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

Torx wrenches are common and I have a complete set of them. But long handled Torx wrenches are NOT common and they are about $9 a copy.

You have expensive tastes. Try something cheaper. For example:

Torx Offset T-Handle Hex Key Set, 6 Pc. $13 plus tax and shipping.
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-offset-star-drive-wrench-set-42926.html

Protorq TORX Tamper Resistant Bits, Security TORX Bits (T7-T40),
Security Star Bits, 150mm, 10 -Pieces, High Grade S2 Steel
$17
https://www.amazon.com/Protorq-Tamper-Resistant-Security-Pieces/dp/B07TQDTFVD/

Incidentally, the handle isn't very long, but the shank or shaft can
be quite long.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about damaging the rubber cover if you
remove the cover rather than punching a hole in it with the Torx
driver.

However, a real problem is using an electric screwdriver or cordless
driver. These work just fine for removing Torx screws, but will strip
the fastener threads if you try to use it to insert the Torx screw,
especially into aluminum castings. Adjustable torque limiters can
help, but I don't trust them and prefer to insert screws with hand
tools.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272