Old May 21st 21, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Centuar Ultra-t-shift sstem

On 5/21/2021 11:00 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, May 21, 2021 at 8:06:50 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/21/2021 9:25 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5:23:25 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/20/2021 7:11 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I assume that Andrew would be someone that could answer this question, I have a set of the 10 speed Centaur Ultra-shifters. They don't have the same size bolt for locking the shifters onto the handlebars. But the smaller size hex wrench doesn't seem to work.

Do these things use something really dumb like a Torx fitting and if so that would require some special tool and where could that be obtained?

"Dumb" is sorta subjective, isn't it?

Peel back the rubber lever cover from the back side and
actually look at it. Because it's an aluminum fastener, it's
Torx, not hex. Good engineering/design practice.

I think you misunderstand my meaning. At that particular place a Torx is a very bad decision. You have soft pliable rubber hoods and it is not a particularly good idea to stick something down in there with sharp edges. This is engineering 101. Don't destroy what you go to so much trouble and expense to build.

I don't get your theory.

In practice, any tool slips easily under a rubber cover.
For a small aluminum sleeve fastener, Torx is a better drive
than Allen or PziDrive or Phillips.

The difference in weight from the previous 6 mm bolt and the new Torx 25 is negligible and saying that it is easy ignores the fact that so many new hoods are being sold because the old ones were torn from the torx drivers.

If that's true we haven't seen it here.

For an aluminum sleeve fastener, Torx is the better design
over other drives. Mr Holtman, an engineer, mentioned this
fact earlier.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/