Panorama - Brown's Miracle Economy

Old September 26th 05, 01:38 PM
Douglas Steel

Default Panorama - Brown's Miracle Economy

Anyone see this last night ?

I didn't watch it all, but was interested to see that
the presenter/reporter Stephanie Flanders was touring
Britain by bike (and occasional train) :-)

She appears to be a regular cyclist.

Its good to see someone on TV cycling just as a normal means
of getting around.

You can watch the programme he

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/4243108.stm

Doug
Old September 26th 05, 02:07 PM
David Martin

Douglas Steel wrote:
Anyone see this last night ?

I didn't watch it all, but was interested to see that
the presenter/reporter Stephanie Flanders was touring
Britain by bike (and occasional train) :-)

She appears to be a regular cyclist.

Its good to see someone on TV cycling just as a normal means
of getting around.

You can watch the programme he

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/4243108.stm

And more importantly (see telegraph thread) riding in normal clothes
(well, for her. I wouldn't be seen riding around Dundee in a skirt and
knee length heeled boots [1] )

A good report. Not 'in your face' about cycling at all. In fact, not
about cycling (except a visit to Raleigh pointing out that they no
longer make any bikes.)

...d

[1] Though some of my male colleagues might.

Old September 26th 05, 02:14 PM
elyob

"Douglas Steel" wrote in message
Anyone see this last night ?

I didn't watch it all, but was interested to see that
the presenter/reporter Stephanie Flanders was touring
Britain by bike (and occasional train) :-)

She appears to be a regular cyclist.

Its good to see someone on TV cycling just as a normal means
of getting around.

You can watch the programme he

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/4243108.stm

There's already a thread about this below, but thanks for the link. However
I have to say that within 6 minutes I've seen her cycle on a railway
concourse and on a pavement

Matthew Wright has been on about cycling in London and the police for the
last few shows (The Wright Stuff). I wasn't really concentrating on the
show, but did he say this morning that he'd been caught cycling in a park?

Old September 26th 05, 02:17 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 2005-09-26, David Martin wrote:

Douglas Steel wrote:
Anyone see this last night ?

I didn't watch it all, but was interested to see that
the presenter/reporter Stephanie Flanders was touring
Britain by bike (and occasional train) :-)

She appears to be a regular cyclist.

Its good to see someone on TV cycling just as a normal means
of getting around.

You can watch the programme he

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/4243108.stm

And more importantly (see telegraph thread) riding in normal clothes
(well, for her. I wouldn't be seen riding around Dundee in a skirt and
knee length heeled boots [1] )

A good report. Not 'in your face' about cycling at all. In fact, not
about cycling (except a visit to Raleigh pointing out that they no
longer make any bikes.)

..d

[1] Though some of my male colleagues might.

She looked like a "real" cyclist, and moreover had avoided the usual
tendency for cyclists on BBC-TV to wear a h**m*t!

Anthony

--
Using Linux GNU/Debian - Windows-free zone
Assassins, homeopathy, and skeptical articles).

Old September 27th 05, 08:56 AM
Mark McNeill

Response to Anthony Campbell:
She looked like a "real" cyclist, and moreover had avoided the usual
tendency for cyclists on BBC-TV to wear a h**m*t!

One question which occurred to me when watching morning telly last week
was this: what *is* the story in Balamory? - Spencer the painter wore a
h*lm*t when he was on his trike, but a moment later was seen at the top
of a ladder without any visible safety measures at all!

(Mr MacHenry, the gardener in "The Magic Roundabout", is the only other
regular triker in children's television I can think of; he wore a straw
hat in the original series. Dunno what he wore in the recent film,
if he appeared in it.)

--
Mark, UK

"On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into
the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not
able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could
provoke such a question."
Old September 27th 05, 06:23 PM
Danny Colyer

Mark McNeill wrote:
(Mr MacHenry, the gardener in "The Magic Roundabout", is the only other
regular triker in children's television I can think of

Rosetti Wordsworth regularly rides a trike around the Story Makers
library, wearing a helmet. I suspect that the helmet gets used in real
life as well, as it has a mirror attached which is always adjusted well
up out of the way.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old September 27th 05, 07:46 PM
Phil Clarke

Mark McNeill wrote:

what *is* the story in Balamory? - Spencer the painter wore a
h*lm*t when he was on his trike, but a moment later was seen at
the top of a ladder without any visible safety measures at all!

and more importantly, when are Ms Hoolie & PC Plum gonna get it
together? The wedding episode is going to be the greatest TV event ever,
greater even than Scott & Charlene's.