26 x 1.25 slick tire recommendation

Old November 11th 05, 06:46 PM

Default 26 x 1.25 slick tire recommendation

someone writes:

I have no concrete scientific data to back me up, but seeing as the
two tires have similar thread counts, recommended inflation, mass,
and tread--I doubt you would feel much of a difference.

The Avocet Fasgrips are made by IRC. IRC makes very reliable tires
under their own name and many others. I don't know about the long
term durability of the Performance tires, but the anecdotal evidence
on this group points to them being just fine. At $6 per tire you can
afford to get two sets just in case. :P

Avocet tires WERE made by IRC but IRC got out of the bicycle tire
business and pushed the manufacture off to an off shore subsidiary.
I don't know where but I suspect Korea.

There are other slickish tires for 26" rims made by Ritchey and
Vittoria among others, some as narrow as 1"--but you'll want to make
sure your rim is narrow enough to use those. I like the 1.25" width
as it rolls fast and resists urban pinch flats.

Tires, like rims, are in a state of fashion that getting a functional
one isn't easy, people being into appearances more than ever.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 11th 05, 10:02 PM
bfd

That's right, the new all black "carbon 12" Avocet Fasgrips are made in
Korea:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/622.html#28

Old November 11th 05, 10:29 PM
Sam (Houston)

Thank you all. I just ordered a pair of Performance slicks.

Sam

Old November 12th 05, 06:18 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Matt O'Toole:
Some keep extra sets of wheels, just for the
convenience of not having to mount tires. That seems silly to me. I used
to switch tires a lot too, but now I use the same pair of semi-slicks for
most riding.

I don't have enough spare gray matter to keep track of what works/doesn't work
with tire A and what works/doesn't work with tire B.

Yesterday I swapped out my MTB Mutano Raptors for a set of 1.9" SemiSlicks and
almost ate it as the front wheel washed out going down this embankment that I go
down 4x per week
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 12th 05, 06:20 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per maxo:
a difference between the Performance 1.25" city
slicks and the Fasgrips.

Has anybody tried the totally-slick 1.25" slicks that Performance also sells?
On the shelf, they look like they might be a little lower profile than the
CitySlicks - so maybe they wouldn't fit as well on an MTB rim.
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 12th 05, 07:26 AM
maxo

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per maxo:
a difference between the Performance 1.25" city
slicks and the Fasgrips.

Has anybody tried the totally-slick 1.25" slicks that Performance also sells?
On the shelf, they look like they might be a little lower profile than the
CitySlicks - so maybe they wouldn't fit as well on an MTB rim.
--
PeteCresswell

Those are the ones I've tried, the totally bald ones:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5425

I liked them a ton, though I sold the bike they were on as it was a bit
teeny for me. Put a couple K on them and really enjoyed the silence and
decent cornering--not that I was pressing a fendered city bike to its
limits--gotta mind the eggs in the panniers.

I mounted them on the house-brand rims on an '87 Rockhopper, so they
should fit most MTB rims short of wide downhill rims, just fine.
Visually those rims looked like they could have taken even narrower
tires, and they're fatter than most modern rims. I wouldn't worry.

Old November 14th 05, 06:38 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Sam (Houston) wrote:
Hi all,

I would like to replace my inexpensive slick tires with something
better. Cost is not priority. Minimal rolling resistance is what I'm
looking for. The size is 26 x 1.25.

The tire I've found is the INNOVA, 100psi. It's available from ebay
(item # 7194898573).

Question: Is this a good tire for mininal rolling resistance? Is
there anything better out there? If so, where can I get it?

Vredestein S-Licks, if you can get them. They're 26 x 1.3, very
puncture resistant and amazingly grippy - fairly short tread life, but
that's what you get from a soft compound.