Bontrager "Gauge Units" ?

Old November 13th 05, 04:32 PM

Default Bontrager "Gauge Units" ?

Can someone help me convert from Bontrager "gauge units" to a number I
can use without a custom Bontrager tensionometer? This is for a 2004
Bontrager Select Road wheelset, rear wheel. The 2003 Service Manual
(that's the latest on their web site) shows 110-150 "gauge units" (and
"load" of 110-290 lbs). It's a 24-spoke wheel with 14G (2.0 mm)
spokes. Rider weight is 185 lbs.

Thanks.

--
Daniel

Old November 14th 05, 01:56 PM

They're not butted in this case (although the 2003 manual shows them as
butted). The wheel is built (my first) and ready for a test ride.

Thanks!

--
Daniel

Old November 15th 05, 12:24 PM

Is the tension listed for the butted spokes the same as the tension
should be for straight spokes? After re-building, the rim is slightly
larger, as evidenced by the difficulty of installing and removing the
tire. I have trued the wheel near the maximum tension values on the
drive side (290 lbs, or "25" on my TM-1 Tensionometer) and the dish is
spot-on.

Thanks.

--
Daniel

Old November 15th 05, 06:18 PM
Michael Press

In article
.com,
" wrote:

Is the tension listed for the butted spokes the same as the tension
should be for straight spokes? After re-building, the rim is slightly
larger, as evidenced by the difficulty of installing and removing the
tire. I have trued the wheel near the maximum tension values on the
drive side (290 lbs, or "25" on my TM-1 Tensionometer) and the dish is
spot-on.

Yes, use the same tension for straight and butted spokes.
A butted spoke can easily sustain all the tension
necessary for a bicycle wheel.

--
Michael Press