Tie and solder: any alternatives to DT pre-tinned wire?

Old November 16th 05, 01:43 PM
jtaylor

Default Tie and solder: any alternatives to DT pre-tinned wire?

"jim beam" wrote in message
jtaylor wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message

I recall how Jack Disney, our local monster sprinter, insisted that
track sprinters were too strong for 3/32 road chain and that only a
3/16 by inch pitch block chain could reliably transmit the power. All
his wheels were tied and soldered.

ah, the old jobstian ad hominem with a paralleled but irrelevant nugget
of truth to bait away from the point of contention.

Could you point out the ad hominen element of argument that you see in

JB's
post?

Because I must have missed it.

look up what it means. jobst points out that the old inch pitch chain
argument is bunk, and tries to use that, with the fact that an inch
pitch advocate also has t&s spokes, to use the former to associate the
latter with similar status. but it's a logical fallacy. if you miss
that you are either falling for jobst's expertise and many years of
practice, /or/ you're taking that position just for the sake of
contradiction, regardless of accuracy.

Your post, on the other hand...

An "ad hominem" argument is an unwarranted attack on the character of the
person making an opposing argument, one which fails to address the issues
raised. Would you please point out where in JB's post he was attacking a
person's character, who that person was, and in what way it was unwarranted.

Old November 16th 05, 02:08 PM
jim beam

jtaylor wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message

jtaylor wrote:

"jim beam" wrote in message

[...]

qed

An "ad hominem" argument is an unwarranted attack on the character of the
person making an opposing argument, one which fails to address the issues
raised. Would you please point out where in JB's post he was attacking a
person's character, who that person was, and in what way it was unwarranted.

you missed the bit about ad hominem as logical fallacy. if of course
you ignore his derogatory comments about disney.

Old November 16th 05, 02:38 PM
RonSonic

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:02:57 -0800, jim beam wrote:

jtaylor wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message

[...]

Nope. When Jobst goes ad hominem it doesn't need you to explain what happened.

Even Jobst is allowed to chat and relate anecdotes without presumption of
sinister motive.

Ron
Old November 16th 05, 05:41 PM
dvt

jtaylor wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message

I recall how Jack Disney, our local monster sprinter, insisted that
track sprinters were too strong for 3/32 road chain and that only a
3/16 by inch pitch block chain could reliably transmit the power. All
his wheels were tied and soldered.

ah, the old jobstian ad hominem with a paralleled but irrelevant nugget
of truth to bait away from the point of contention.

An "ad hominem" argument is an unwarranted attack on the character of the
person making an opposing argument, one which fails to address the issues
raised. Would you please point out where in JB's post he was attacking a
person's character, who that person was, and in what way it was unwarranted.

Jobst's ad hominem was very subtle. You have to understand this: it is
commonly accepted that no track sprinter is too strong for 3/32" chain.
Since Jack Disney believed otherwise, his technical credibility is
undermined. The implied reasoning goes like this: "Jack was wrong about
chains. Jack doesn't know jack." In a technical arena, an attack on
technical competence is tantamount to an attack on character.

jim beam's ad hominems are generally less subtle.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu