Old Peugeot Chainring Problem

Old November 15th 05, 06:25 PM
Michael Press

Default Peugeot UO8 overhaul [was Old Peugeot Chainring Problem]

In article
.com,
" wrote:

Gentlemen --

I can't get over your generosity! Thank you so much for offering your
help in such detail. I have to say that I'm a bit intimidated by the
choices and some of the terminology. I'm pretty handy and can do basic
maintenence (new cables, new derailleurs) but I'm not a bike mechanic.

I think you're right that I need a new mechanic. My guy is great, very
supportive and helpful, but he instantly admits that he doesn't know
much about these old bikes.

However -- I did some careful riding this AM and tried to isolate the
problem. And it looks like I've got a broken link in the chain. Not
enough to break the chain, but enough to allow it to flex and come off
the chain wheel. I'm not absolutely certain that this is the problem,
but every time the chain comes off, the point of departure is right
behind the bad link (2-6 links behind).

I've uploaded some pictures of the bike and the broken link. (I
identified the broken link with a bit of nail polish). Don't laugh,
please! There's a lot of rust but it works and I ride it nearly every
day -- from bike path by the beach to trips to the grocery store.

http://avidtips.home.comcast.net/misc/peugeot/

I assume that the first step now is to get a new chain and see if this
helps. Is there anything else anybody would suggest? On re-examination,
I think the play in the bottom bracket is pretty slight.

Once again, thank you all so much for your support and help!

Yes, time for a new chain and freewheel. Your chain rings
are fine.

--
Michael Press
Old November 15th 05, 06:57 PM

Default Old Peugeot Chainring Problem

Yup -- it's the original chain. 1969.

New chain and new freewheel -- but you don't have to replace the
chainring or crankset? Needless to say, those teeth are worn, too.

Steve

Old November 15th 05, 07:03 PM
mark

wrote ...
Yup -- it's the original chain. 1969.

New chain and new freewheel -- but you don't have to replace the
chainring or crankset? Needless to say, those teeth are worn, too.

Steve

Chainrings generally last a lot longer than freewhel cogs for various
reasons, and steel chainrings like yours can last a really long time. Your
bike has seen a lot of use, though, so you might end up needing to replace
the chainrings and/or bottom bracket and/ or crankset. I would try to
scrounge up some used parts, though, because finding new French threaded
parts to fit your bike is really going to be tough. Check the link I sent
you for more background on fixing up old French bikes.
--
mark

Old November 15th 05, 08:30 PM

Okay -- I'm getting a new chain and freewheel. I also found a new bike
shop that says they have experience with old Peugeots. We'll see.

Thank you all so much -- you've been immensely helpful!

Steve

Old November 16th 05, 04:25 AM
41

Dave Mayer wrote:
we are talking about a 36-year old Peugeot here.
The bottom bracket is French threaded, which means you are restricted to
20-year-old bottom brackets.

ooops- ah fohgot. Anyrate, French thread parts are pretty common on
eBay and generally they don't move well (not sure about BBs
specifically). Didn't TA or Stronglight still make French thread BBs,
if only until recently? I do know for sure that Stronglight still makes
the A9 headset in French thread.

Try: www.veloland.com www.velostore.com~

ErgoBrain 10 problem Bob Wheeler Techniques 3 September 21st 05 02:54 PM
Problems with triple chainring front derailleur (Ultegra) Bob in CT Techniques 2 July 26th 05 10:44 PM
Ankle problem... darchibald Unicycling 3 May 8th 04 06:44 PM
How to identify this older Peugeot road bike? Rick Onanian General 6 July 11th 03 08:57 PM