A Positive Image for Cyclists

Old May 9th 05, 10:58 AM
MatSav

Default A Positive Image for Cyclists

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4528463.stm

--
MatSav

Old May 9th 05, 01:32 PM
Simonb

MatSav wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4528463.stm

Cyclists are people too!

Old May 9th 05, 01:48 PM
JohnB

MatSav wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4528463.stm

--
MatSav

Whilst it is always good to see cyclists mentioned in a good light, I
doubt very much if this case had anything to do with the rescuer being
on a bike.

It sounds as if he were a simply a member of that fast disappearing
group of people who feel a responsibility towards those in distress.

Cyclists are not a breed apart [1].

[1] excepting pavement cyclists.

John B
Old May 9th 05, 02:19 PM
Richard

JohnB wrote:
MatSav wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4528463.stm

--
MatSav

Whilst it is always good to see cyclists mentioned in a good light, I
doubt very much if this case had anything to do with the rescuer being
on a bike.

I don't know about that. Drivers have a tendancy to be going by so fast
that they don't bother to stop. That, and some of them actually pay
attention to the road ahead of them rather than people in the ocean off
to one side. I strongly suspect that if the cyclist hadn't have
stopped to help, nobody else would have done.

R.
Old May 9th 05, 02:52 PM
dkahn400

Richard wrote:

I don't know about that. Drivers have a tendancy to be going by
so fast that they don't bother to stop. That, and some of them
actually pay attention to the road ahead of them rather than people
in the ocean off to one side. I strongly suspect that if the
cyclist hadn't have stopped to help, nobody else would have done.

I'm just amazed no-one pinched his bike while he was in the sea.

--
Dave...

Old May 9th 05, 07:11 PM
Tilly

On Mon, 9 May 2005 10:58:19 +0100, "MatSav"
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4528463.stm#

"The cyclist, who is thought to be 19 and a local, left the scene
shortly after the rescue."

He probably legged it in case the couple suffered bruising from their
rescue and he was sued for assault.
Old May 10th 05, 05:23 AM
David Hansen

On Mon, 09 May 2005 19:11:15 +0100 someone who may be Tilly
wrote this:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4528463.stm#

"The cyclist, who is thought to be 19 and a local, left the scene
shortly after the rescue."

He probably legged it in case the couple suffered bruising from their
rescue and he was sued for assault.

Or was worried that the police would turn up and adopt their usual
anti-cyclist approach.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old May 10th 05, 08:11 AM
Paul D

On Tue, 10 May 2005 05:23:59 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

Or was worried that the police would turn up and adopt their usual
anti-cyclist approach.

What anti-cyclist approach is that?
Old May 10th 05, 09:07 AM
David Hansen

On Tue, 10 May 2005 07:11:28 GMT someone who may be
(Paul D) wrote this:-

Or was worried that the police would turn up and adopt their usual
anti-cyclist approach.

What anti-cyclist approach is that?

An example is the message below, continuing with a few threads which
a search engine will find. I have snipped some headers and quoted
the rest to ensure they remain intact.

Carol Hague Jan 31 2001, 9:01 pm show options

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:02:08 +0000

OK, it's now official, the world's gone mad....

Last Wednesday Rob was shunted from behind by a car. Not serious, no
damage to trike or rider except that his foot was run over by the
departing car. Duly reported to the police, though unfortunately he
only got part of the registration number.

This morning, the police came to his office and arrested him for
criminal damage on the car, claiming he'd smashed the windscreen and
sod knows what else... They kept him in a cell for two hours before
interviewing him. He is now out on bail.

I can understand that they'd want to interview him and get his side
of the story, but arresting him on the word of the other person
seems a trifle....extreme.

But then I'm a dangerous subversive who doesn't own a car, so what
do I know ?

While not all police officers are anti-cyclist there is in general
an anti-cyclist approach as demonstrated by the message I have
quoted. Search engines will find others.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old May 10th 05, 10:19 AM
Paul D

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 21:02:08 +0000

OK, it's now official, the world's gone mad....

Last Wednesday Rob was shunted from behind by a car. Not serious, no
damage to trike or rider except that his foot was run over by the
departing car. Duly reported to the police, though unfortunately he
only got part of the registration number.

This morning, the police came to his office and arrested him for
criminal damage on the car, claiming he'd smashed the windscreen and
sod knows what else... They kept him in a cell for two hours before
interviewing him. He is now out on bail.

I can understand that they'd want to interview him and get his side
of the story, but arresting him on the word of the other person
seems a trifle....extreme.

But then I'm a dangerous subversive who doesn't own a car, so what
do I know ?

An interesting thread (although, if you hadn't snipped the thread subject line
it would have been easier to find).

Unfortunatley the thread ends (at least on google) without the final outcome
being known.

A bit like those idiotic newspaper editors who print all the details of an
interesting case and end it with "the case continues", without never print the
outcome.