Newbie race question

Old August 6th 04, 06:15 PM

Default Newbie race question

Teach me oh great rbr riders...

I have not really followed road racing closely until this years Tdf. I
have been mountain biking for years, but never paid close attention to
any road races. This year I watched one stage on OLN and became
hooked. So now I have a strategy/scoring question.

In one stage, i don't remember which one or names at the moment, there
was a group that broke away from the peloton. They rode for awhile and
had a sizable gap when one of the people in that group was dropped. He
couldn't catch up so he was just ****in around until the peloton was
going to get where he was.

Why should he do that? Why not finish between the front group and the
peloton?
Old August 6th 04, 10:49 PM
Stewart Fleming

wrote:

Why should he do that? Why not finish between the front group and the
peloton?

Team orders.

Old August 6th 04, 11:37 PM
Chris

"Alex Rodriguez" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

Teach me oh great rbr riders...
I have not really followed road racing closely until this years Tdf. I
have been mountain biking for years, but never paid close attention to
any road races. This year I watched one stage on OLN and became
hooked. So now I have a strategy/scoring question.
In one stage, i don't remember which one or names at the moment, there
was a group that broke away from the peloton. They rode for awhile and
had a sizable gap when one of the people in that group was dropped. He
couldn't catch up so he was just ****in around until the peloton was
going to get where he was.
Why should he do that? Why not finish between the front group and the
peloton?

Because it would have wasted a lot of energy. I say wasted because riding
solo uses up more energy than riding in a group. Also, since he was

dropped
from the lead group you know that he was getting tired. So just taking
it easy until the peloton caught him gave him a chance to get some rest.

Under
the circumstances what he did was the smartest thing to do.
-------------
Alex

I agree with the above and add that even if he wasn't fatigued, the best
place to go is with either group rather than alone. If he was dropped
because of something he could recover from (anything from a flat tire to a
sneezing fit or a nature break) then he needs to get with one group or
another unless they are already close to the finish.

He might in some cases even drop back if he thinks the break won't make it
so that he can work in the main group and set up for the finish with his
team (or more of his team). That happens once in a while too. It would be
more usual to "sit in" and not work at all but some times the need to be
with the team is more important.

Old August 7th 04, 04:29 PM
Shussbar

In one stage, i don't remember which one or names at the moment, there
was a group that broke away from the peloton. They rode for awhile and
had a sizable gap when one of the people in that group was dropped. He
couldn't catch up so he was just ****in around until the peloton was
going to get where he was.

Why should he do that? Why not finish between the front group and the
peloton?

1) he does want he wants / what he can
2) If he had no gas to stay with the group, there is few chances that he could
stay by him self between the group and the peloton.

3) More seriously: Dropped from the first group, his best bet is to wait
quietly for the peloton to catch him up and try to stay with it