Obsessions..

Old November 11th 04, 02:45 PM
Maggie

Default Obsessions..

Since this newsgroup has made me aware of my obsession with age...just
a little obsession...;-)....I happened to mention it to a friend. He
sent me two quotes. I thought I would share....

I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming... suddenly you find - at
the age of 50, say - that a whole new life has opened before you.
Agatha Christie (1890 - 1976)

I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I was
forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an older
friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many, many
people do not have that privilege.'
Earl Warren (1891 - 1974), Chief Justice

Now that I realize that I am in the "second blooming" and should
consider myself "privileged" for having reached my age...I think I can
stop obsessing. Thank you all for helping me realize that 50 does not
mean "old" and I have a lot more life left in me. If I take care of
myself, exercise and enjoy this phase of my life instead of whining, I
might just have as much fun as I did when I was 20. By this time next
year....I am going to be able to participate in some of the long bike
tours available to me and not die. This is my goal. ;-)

Live life with Passion so you realize you're ALIVE!!!!
Believe in your dreams!! Never EVER give up!!!

Hometown HomePage: http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 11th 04, 04:23 PM
psycholist

"Maggie" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Maggie,

A couple of years ago, Bicycling Magazine did a feature on cycling at 50 and
beyond. They have a couple of Phds and MDs who studied training techniques
.... guys who were racers in their youth. They began a strict training
regimine and managed to achieve some lifetime personal bests at age 50 ...
even though they had competed throughout their lives.

I don't have time to do the research and find this for you, but maybe you
can track it down. It was great reading. I'm pretty sure one of the
authors was Dr. Ed Pavelka. Maybe someone else reading this will be able to
recall more precisely than I can. My body is holding up much better than my
brain.

Bob C.

Old November 11th 04, 05:09 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
|| Since this newsgroup has made me aware of my obsession with
|| age...just a little obsession...;-)....I happened to mention it to a
|| friend. He sent me two quotes. I thought I would share....
|| I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming... suddenly you find - at
|| the age of 50, say - that a whole new life has opened before you.
|| Agatha Christie (1890 - 1976)
|| I'm very pleased with each advancing year. It stems back to when I
|| was forty. I was a bit upset about reaching that milestone, but an
|| older friend consoled me. 'Don't complain about growing old - many,
|| many people do not have that privilege.'
|| Earl Warren (1891 - 1974), Chief Justice
|| Now that I realize that I am in the "second blooming" and should
|| consider myself "privileged" for having reached my age...I think I
|| can stop obsessing. Thank you all for helping me realize that 50
|| does not mean "old" and I have a lot more life left in me. If I take
|| care of myself, exercise and enjoy this phase of my life instead of
|| whining, I might just have as much fun as I did when I was 20. By
|| this time next year....I am going to be able to participate in some
|| of the long bike tours available to me and not die. This is my goal.
|| ;-)
|| Live life with Passion so you realize you're ALIVE!!!!
|| Believe in your dreams!! Never EVER give up!!!

WTG, Maggie.

You might want to get the book "Cycling Past 50" by Joe Friel.

Old November 11th 04, 09:23 PM
Zoot Katz

11 Nov 2004 06:45:45 -0800,
,
(Maggie) wrote, in part:

Since this newsgroup has made me aware of my obsession with age...just
a little obsession...;-)...

Thirty-nine was rough for me after that it was getting married at 40
and needing glasses at forty-five. Fifty wasn't a biggie but I didn't
have to go through the hot flashes and that stuff getting there.

My former spouse nailed it solid when she said of my near manic
ability to focus on some activity or thing, "Now that you have an
obsession, what are you going to do for a hobby?"

Now that I realize that I am in the "second blooming" and should
consider myself "privileged" for having reached my age...I think I can
stop obsessing. Thank you all for helping me realize that 50 does not
mean "old" and I have a lot more life left in me. If I take care of
myself, exercise and enjoy this phase of my life instead of whining, I
might just have as much fun as I did when I was 20.

The lifestyle I lived as a teen had me doubting I'd see 26.
About at age 21 was probably the first time bicycling helped me turn
my life around. I saw "old" guys still out riding and apparently
having fun. That looked better than where I felt I was headed and
bikes were cool so I started making that my goal. At fifty I figured
I'd better get back with the program. Bikes are still cool.

By this time next
year....I am going to be able to participate in some of the long bike
tours available to me and not die. This is my goal. ;-)

Listen to your body but let it know you're still boss. Sometimes it
just hurts so good.
--
zk
Old November 11th 04, 10:51 PM
David Reuteler

loki wrote:
I hit the big 39 this year. The worst part for me was realizing that there
are women who are legal adults who are nevertheless 'too young' for me now.

good lord, man.. i hit that at 26.
--
david reuteler

Old November 12th 04, 02:31 AM
Blair P. Houghton

David Reuteler wrote:
loki wrote:
I hit the big 39 this year. The worst part for me was realizing that there
are women who are legal adults who are nevertheless 'too young' for me now.

good lord, man.. i hit that at 26.

I'm 41. If it's 26, I'll still hit it.

--Blair
"Makes the same noise when you crank it."
Old November 12th 04, 02:48 AM
loki

"David Reuteler" wrote in message
loki wrote:
I hit the big 39 this year. The worst part for me was realizing that
there
are women who are legal adults who are nevertheless 'too young' for me
now.

good lord, man.. i hit that at 26.

It's been coming on for a few years. I'm not saying I cruise the Univ. pubs
trying to pick up 19 year old Frosh [at 26 I wasn't averse to that though].
But when I see the latest 20 or 22 year old sexpot singer or actress on TV
or in a movie; where my first thought used to be entirely carnal now it's;
'she's too young'.

--
'In the days of my youth
I was told what it means to be a man

Old November 12th 04, 02:52 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

I'm 41. If it's 26, I'll still hit it.

--Blair
"Makes the same noise when you crank it."

Ewww. He's a pig, as well as a moron.

Go crank yourself, BP.

Old November 12th 04, 07:45 AM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:48:52 -0500, ,
"loki" wrote:

But when I see the latest 20 or 22 year old sexpot singer or actress on TV
or in a movie; where my first thought used to be entirely carnal now it's;
'she's too young'.

I look at their quads.
--
zk