Order a pair of tires or 3 tires?

Old July 11th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default Order a pair of tires or 3 tires?

Ok, maybe a silly question but I've been cycling about a year now
and notice the rear tires wear out much quicker then the front
tires. I have 2 bikes, went through one set of tires on one. Now
on one bike I have a set of Michelin Pro2Race and Continental
Contacts on the other. Both rears wearing significantly faster, I"m
190 pounds. Do long time cyclists buy three tires and just replace
the rear one when its worn or buy a pair and rotate when
necesary?

Old July 11th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:48:52 -0700, RS wrote:

Ok, maybe a silly question but I've been cycling about a year now
and notice the rear tires wear out much quicker then the front
tires. I have 2 bikes, went through one set of tires on one. Now
on one bike I have a set of Michelin Pro2Race and Continental
Contacts on the other. Both rears wearing significantly faster, I"m
190 pounds. Do long time cyclists buy three tires and just replace
the rear one when its worn or buy a pair and rotate when
necesary?

Rotating tires is a mistake. Think about this: which would you rather
risk, a front blowout or a rear blowout? For that reason (IĀ*presume you
would prefer a rear blowout, since with a front flat you are much more
likely to crash), you should put the brand new tire on the front,
and take the old front tire and put it on the rear. If by chance both are
gone, replace both, and when you wear out the rear, proceed as above.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies
Old July 11th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
flatline

Considering that I'm more likely to damage things than do any good when
I take off a front tire and put in on the rear, I prefer to simply
leave it in place when the rear goes. I replace either tire when they
wear out and that's all.
And another thing, I doubt very much that it really matters to have
both tires match in make or model. So long as both tires are in decent
shape.

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:48:52 -0700, RS wrote:

Ok, maybe a silly question but I've been cycling about a year now
and notice the rear tires wear out much quicker then the front
tires. I have 2 bikes, went through one set of tires on one. Now
on one bike I have a set of Michelin Pro2Race and Continental
Contacts on the other. Both rears wearing significantly faster, I"m
190 pounds. Do long time cyclists buy three tires and just replace
the rear one when its worn or buy a pair and rotate when
necesary?

Rotating tires is a mistake. Think about this: which would you rather
risk, a front blowout or a rear blowout? For that reason (I presume you

Old July 11th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

"flatline" wrote in message
ups.com...
Considering that I'm more likely to damage things than do any good when
I take off a front tire and put in on the rear, I prefer to simply
leave it in place when the rear goes. I replace either tire when they
wear out and that's all.
And another thing, I doubt very much that it really matters to have
both tires match in make or model. So long as both tires are in decent
shape.

I don't get it, what are you going to "damage?" Have you ever gotten a flat
on the road? If so, moving a front tire to the rear and putting on a new
front tire is not any more difficult.

Again, the danger of having an old front tire is its more likely to blow
out. As Dave stated, which would you rather have, a front or rear blow out?
Be smart and *rotate* properly - when your rear tire wears out, put the NEW
TIRE on the FRONT, move the front tire to the rear and throw the old, worn
rear tire away. For mo

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-rotation.html

Old July 11th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:48:52 -0700, RS wrote:

Ok, maybe a silly question but I've been cycling about a year now
and notice the rear tires wear out much quicker then the front
tires. I have 2 bikes, went through one set of tires on one. Now
on one bike I have a set of Michelin Pro2Race and Continental
Contacts on the other. Both rears wearing significantly faster, I"m
190 pounds. Do long time cyclists buy three tires and just replace
the rear one when its worn or buy a pair and rotate when
necesary?

Put the new tire on the front, and if the old front is still useful,
move it to the back. A flat on the front is a much more hazardous
situation than a flat on the rear, so having the new tire up front
makes sense.

As for purchasing habits, I go by the dictum that if I find a product
I like, and it is both consumable and non-perishable, I stock up when
the opportunity presents itself. Most of the time, this serves me
well; when I need the item, I've got a spare at hand. Of course, by
the time I have exhausted the stash, the chances are good that the
same model will no longer be available, and I'll have to shop for an
acceptable replacement.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 11th 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.T.

RS wrote:

Ok, maybe a silly question but I've been cycling about a year now
and notice the rear tires wear out much quicker then the front
tires. I have 2 bikes, went through one set of tires on one. Now
on one bike I have a set of Michelin Pro2Race and Continental
Contacts on the other. Both rears wearing significantly faster, I"m
190 pounds. Do long time cyclists buy three tires and just replace
the rear one when its worn or buy a pair and rotate when
necesary?

Buy one, put it on the front, move the front to the rear, repeat.
Where'd 3 tires come from?

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old July 11th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Kopit

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:48:52 -0700, RS wrote:

Ok, maybe a silly question but I've been cycling about a year now
and notice the rear tires wear out much quicker then the front
tires. I have 2 bikes, went through one set of tires on one. Now
on one bike I have a set of Michelin Pro2Race and Continental
Contacts on the other. Both rears wearing significantly faster, I"m
190 pounds. Do long time cyclists buy three tires and just replace
the rear one when its worn or buy a pair and rotate when
necesary?

Buy 3 tires and put the new tire on the front. When the rear wears,
put the front on the rear and, again, the new tire on the front.
Old July 11th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dane Buson

landotter wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:

Rotating tires is a mistake. Think about this: which would you rather
risk, a front blowout or a rear blowout?

I know this is the rec.bicycles.tech official printing on the spinning
prayer wheel, which was affixed by Sheldon's double sided tacky
tape...and that it sort of makes a bit of sense on paper, BUT I don't
know of anybody that's ever had a wreck EVER because of an exploding
front tire. I'm sure it happens on occasion, but so keep repeating the
mantra is a bit of sensationalism.

I ran into someone last week whose front tire blew out. He was pushing
his bike along and I asked if he needed anything. Evidently his front
tire blew, he went down, bent his handlebar, mucked up his front brake
and something else. He decided to just take a bus.

Disclaimer: I think I should, but do not actually practice the front -
rear regimen.

Rotate front to back if it's convenient, but if you're worried about
fall-down-go-boom, just check your tires now and again for wear, cuts,
and the like. Replace worn tires as needed, I usually do it when
they're squared off, not when the casing threads show.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus is supposed to be changed when you see the
blue inner layer. I'll tell you how that works when I get down that
far.

--
Dane Buson -
Engineering: "How will this work?"
Old July 11th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

Dane Buson wrote:

Disclaimer: I think I should, but do not actually practice the front
- rear regimen.

Family newsgroup, buddy.

Bill "back by overwhelming popular request" S.