Marinoni or Giant road bike?

Old February 14th 04, 01:31 AM
AMR

Default Marinoni or Giant road bike?

Here's a question for folks familiar with Marinoni and Giant bikes: I'm
looking to replace my old road bike with a new bike, and I've considering
either the Marinoni Ciclo Alu (i.e., the one built with Zonal aluminum) or
the Giant OCR1. Since the Marinoni is a "semi-custom" bike I can order it
from the factory with my choice of components and paint job, but it's
considerably more expensive than Giant's OCR1. Is the Marinoni worth the
extra money? Is it worth adding the Xtra carbon rear triangle option?

Old February 14th 04, 01:41 PM
GABIKE

I bought an OCR1 2 years ago and have put several thousand miles on it. I love
it. I have recomended it to members of my local bike club and 3 have been
bought. None of the people who bought them have regretted it. Its a great
beginner level bike but you can still run with the big dogs on the large group
rides.
Old February 14th 04, 06:21 PM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:31:36 GMT,
ers.com,
"AMR" wrote:

Here's a question for folks familiar with Marinoni and Giant bikes: I'm
looking to replace my old road bike with a new bike, and I've considering
either the Marinoni Ciclo Alu (i.e., the one built with Zonal aluminum) or
the Giant OCR1.

Custom vs. CookieCutter.
No contest.

Artisan built bikes have class. Giant makes kid's bikes.

Buy Canadian, eh.
--
zk
Old February 14th 04, 07:15 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:21:40 -0800, Zoot Katz
wrote:

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:31:36 GMT,
gers.com,
"AMR" wrote:

Here's a question for folks familiar with Marinoni and Giant bikes: I'm
looking to replace my old road bike with a new bike, and I've considering
either the Marinoni Ciclo Alu (i.e., the one built with Zonal aluminum) or
the Giant OCR1.

Custom vs. CookieCutter.
No contest.

Artisan built bikes have class. Giant makes kid's bikes.

But with the cost differential, you could buy a kid a bike.

-Luigi
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
photos, rants, raves
Old February 14th 04, 11:45 PM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:15:51 -0500,
,
Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Artisan built bikes have class. Giant makes kid's bikes.

But with the cost differential, you could buy a kid a bike.

True, but for $75.00 extra the Marinoni can be custom sized.

The Giant's compact geometry can't be resized for any price. It only
comes in one colour scheme and doesn't use Columbus tubing.

It's like comparing apples to road apples.
--
zk
Old February 15th 04, 02:25 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:45:13 -0800, Zoot Katz
wrote:

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:15:51 -0500,
,
Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Artisan built bikes have class. Giant makes kid's bikes.

But with the cost differential, you could buy a kid a bike.

True, but for $75.00 extra the Marinoni can be custom sized.

The Giant's compact geometry can't be resized for any price. It only
comes in one colour scheme and doesn't use Columbus tubing.

It's like comparing apples to road apples.

riposte, remise, touche.

I yield.

Old February 15th 04, 03:02 AM
David Kerber

In article , luigi12081
@cox.net says...

It's like comparing apples to road apples.

riposte, remise, touche.

Are you actually a fencer, or do you just know those terms? I find
fencing a good cross-training sport for the legs. It actually started
out the other way around (cycling as cross-training for fencing), but it
has turned into fencing as cross-training for cycling.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old February 15th 04, 03:26 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:02:03 -0500, David Kerber
wrote:

In article , luigi12081
says...

It's like comparing apples to road apples.

riposte, remise, touche.

Are you actually a fencer, or do you just know those terms? I find
fencing a good cross-training sport for the legs. It actually started
out the other way around (cycling as cross-training for fencing), but it
has turned into fencing as cross-training for cycling.

A brief bout of it, one summer; enough to learn how to handle myself
with a foil, but nowhere near competent.

I'd start it up again, but cycling's cheaper.

(of course running's cheapest of all, but cycling wins on the
cheap/fun index)

-Luigi

my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
One for the Economists: inflation, road bike pricing, etc S. Anderson General 18 August 14th 03 04:53 PM
Looking for a cheap road bike Mike Jacoubowsky General 8 August 7th 03 12:12 AM