OK to use full length of uncut steerer tube?

Old February 18th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default OK to use full length of uncut steerer tube?

Hi all,

I have a Kona P2 steel cross fork with 1-1/8" steerer tube about 260 mm
uncut, so it's a bit on the short side. Between head tube, headset
stack, 5-6 cm of spacers and stem clamp, I would like to use the whole
260 mm (I am about 6'2"). This conveniently eliminates the need to cut
the steerer.

But... there's some unusual milling on the inner surface of the
steerer. A very small amount of material has been milled away in a
rifled pattern for about the top 35-40 mm of the steerer. Should this
concern me at all? And why would Kona do this anyway?

I can cut this part off the steerer off if necessary, but then I would
have to buy a new stem with more rise, rather than use one from my
parts box.

I could also cut off a very small amount of steerer, so that the
milled/unmilled riser is inside the stem clamp area.

Or I can ignore this altogether and just use the whole steerer (my
likely plan).

Any opinions/comments?

Old February 18th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Per Tom B.:
I can cut this part off the steerer off if necessary, but then I would
have to buy a new stem with more rise, rather than use one from my
parts box.

I could also cut off a very small amount of steerer, so that the
milled/unmilled riser is inside the stem clamp area.

Or I can ignore this altogether and just use the whole steerer (my
likely plan).

Somebody who sounded like they knew posted that there's a maximum spacer stack
that's safe from a mechanical/leverage perspective.

Never really clicked with me bc of availability of extension stems - whose mfrs
presumably have the same kind of lawyers as mfrs of forks.
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 18th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom B. wrote:
[...]

I think using a stack height more than the width of the steerer is not
recommended. But I'd do it if I knew the riding wouldn't be too rough.
If I expected a normal or greater amount of stress on the steerer, I'd
go for a normal amount of spacers and get a new stem with a greater
rise. The marks on the inside of the steerer sounds like maybe a
star-nut was pressed in then pulled out? Is it milled or scraped?
Having the steerer break off would be a bad thing, but it's probably up
to the task as long as you don't try any downhill speed records of 173
km/h.

Joseph

Old February 18th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom B. wrote:
[...]

Usually, spacer stack height limitations are only for carbon steerer
tubes (not a great idea under the best circumstances). I'd say just use
all the steerer tube length. If you're really concerned, e-mail Kona.
Old February 18th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom B. wrote:
[...]

A picture of the steerer that's weird at the end would really help our
diagnosis. I'm inclined to say that with your metal steerer, you'll be
perfectly fine running it at full length, as long as you don't have a
ridiculously long stem.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 19th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom B. wrote:
[...]

Followup:

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'll try to get a picture. Any
suggestions on where to post it? (not sure if yahoo photos requires
registration for others to view)

The steerer is definitely milled, in a rifled (i.e. spiral) pattern as
I said above. I'd estimate the wall thickness has been milled out to
about 1.3 mm, from an original value of 1.5 mm.

Good idea to ask Kona, and I just sent them an email. I included one
other question, which I just thought of, regarding setting a star nut
-- I'm wondering whether I can set one in the milled section, and
whether it will be possible/advisable to push it through to the
unmilled section.

Old February 19th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom B. wrote:
Tom B. wrote:

[...]

I don't think it makes a difference. The star nut is pretty simple, the
forces are light (plastic top cap), you only need it to set bearing
preload, and not even really for that (you can just push down). I think
you're obsessing *much* too much over this...
Old February 19th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Tom B. wrote:

[...]

Does it matter if it's steel or aluminum? I have an 1 1/8" steel 'cross
fork with 1 5/8" of spacers. What's the consensus for safety with light
off-roading?

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old February 19th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Cole wrote:
Tom B. wrote:

[...]

Cool, I was in a similar situation with my Soma and didn't feel like
cutting the steerer. The steerer length with the current stem on the
bike and 1 5/8" of spacers works perfect for me. If I had bought a
steeper stem I would have had to have cut the steerer, or put spacers on
top.

Greg