Chewing through brake pads

Old February 19th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chewing through brake pads

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

My son's favorite bike, a yard-sale 1973 step-through Raleigh Sport
3-speed, is chewing through brake pads at a rate I've never seen in my
nearly 40 years of cycling. The wheels are not the best I've ever seen,
being chrome jobbies that are not very true (spoke nipples are fairly
rounded -- ideas welcome here), with a few kinks and bumps in them. The
chrome plating is worn off here and there in a speckled fashion, but
it's not like they feel like sandpaper or anything. No visible rust. Yet
he is fairly grinding down the new salmon Kool Stops at an alarming
rate. He's not even a very aggressive rider. I'm scratching my head over
this one.

Yes, where the chrome is chipped, the rim is quite abrasive.
In the big picture, a more frequent pad change is still
not a lot of cash; new rims might be an excessive answer on
that bike. YMMV.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 19th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article
.com,
"Adam Rush" wrote:

Congradulations on being the only signal in the signal/noise ratio of
this thread.

What are you talking about?

--
Michael Press
Old February 20th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

get the kid's stomach pumped!
then give him one tablespoon of rubber conditioner every 3 hours
that's a nice bike-they don't make them....

Campy brake pads Chris M Techniques 3 February 6th 06 02:13 PM
Severe brake squeal/chatter: Tektro Onyx brakes w/ Kool-Stop Salmon pads Reid Priedhorsky Techniques 3 July 29th 05 06:56 AM
FS: Dura Ace Brake Pads for Carbon Wheels... Bikeparts123 Marketplace 0 March 5th 05 03:25 PM
FS: Campagnolo Dual Pivot Brake Pads - New Ground Zero Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 05:44 PM
brake pads are wider than braking surface Michael Techniques 2 July 10th 03 05:45 PM