Herald Sun reader comments on death of James Gould

Old August 29th 06, 11:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ghostgum

Default Herald Sun reader comments on death of James Gould

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto....html#comments

--
ghostgum

Old August 29th 06, 11:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

ghostgum Wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto....html#comments

Police appeal for witnesses? Don't they have enough already??????

And why would you stop when there are enough people around the incident
already, taking control of the situation? There is nothing you can do in
a situation like that where people are already taking the necessary
actions apart from become a part of the audience (and perhaps provide a
statement to the police, which can be done later)?

Sigh... gotta learn to let go on the anti-journalise sentiments ....

--
warrwych

Old August 30th 06, 12:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

"A memorial ride has been organised by the St Kilda Cycling Club as a
mark of respect to Mr Gould."

Umm... isn't that kind of twisted? How about a memorial WALK.

A 'memorial ride' would be like holding a duck hunt in memory of Laurie
Levy*

*ok, so he may not be dead..

--
gplama

Old August 30th 06, 12:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

gplama Wrote:
"A memorial ride has been organised by the St Kilda Cycling Club as a
mark of respect to Mr Gould."

Umm... isn't that kind of twisted? How about a memorial WALK.

A 'memorial ride' would be like holding a duck hunt in memory of Laurie
Levy*

*ok, so he may not be dead..

like the duck hunt analogy

Lets just hope the entire ride obeys the road rules - probably best
not to have it on a Sat/Sun morning for that reason...... I can see the
memorial ride getting caned in the paper along the same lines that the
Hell Ride has.

--
warrwych

Old August 30th 06, 01:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Mike

ghostgum wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto....html#comments

Do I understand correctly?
These "people" have been RACING in the streets for 20 years, and the
police turned a blind eye?
Does VIC have anti-hoon laws that could be used to confiscate the bikes?
****in' RACING on city streets? Jail the *******s.
Old August 30th 06, 03:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BrettS

ghostgum wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto....html#comments

It's sad that someone has died and I think the guy that rode through the
red light should haved the book thrown at him, but if the hell Ride is
*such* a dangerous event and if riders are *always* breaking the law and
it happens *every* weekend and the old guy walks along that stretch of
road *every* day you would think he would know to take a little extra care?

Just like when you push a stroller across a zebra crossing, you can't
assume anything...

--
BrettS
Old August 30th 06, 03:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Aaaagh the Herald Sun is driving me mad (okay some may say that is my
fault for reading the Herald Sun). but in three pieces about this
accident I've seen reference to riders speeding, racing, and tearing
along Beach Rd at speeds up to 60kmh. What I'd like to know is since
when was doing up to 60kmh in a 60kmh zone speeding, and where did they
find 200 riders in melbourne that can ride at 60kmh on a flat road?

Can one of the regular or occasional riders fill me in on what th epeak
speeds really are and how long they last (I'm tipping they're limited to
Olivers Hill).

DaveB
Old August 30th 06, 03:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter McCallum

BrettS wrote:

ghostgum wrote:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto....html#comments

It's sad that someone has died and I think the guy that rode through the
red light should haved the book thrown at him, but if the hell Ride is
*such* a dangerous event and if riders are *always* breaking the law and
it happens *every* weekend and the old guy walks along that stretch of
road *every* day you would think he would know to take a little extra care?

Just like when you push a stroller across a zebra crossing, you can't
assume anything...

--
BrettS

Ever thought of getting a job as a spokesman for the Israeli Defense
Force? They need people who can rationalise like you.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
http://bicyclemackay.org.au
Old August 30th 06, 03:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

gplama wrote:
"A memorial ride has been organised by the St Kilda Cycling Club as a
mark of respect to Mr Gould."

Umm... isn't that kind of twisted? How about a memorial WALK.

A 'memorial ride' would be like holding a duck hunt in memory of Laurie
Levy*

*ok, so he may not be dead..

Perhaps no Hell Ride for at least a week as a sign of respect!?

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old August 30th 06, 03:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

BrettS wrote:

It's sad that someone has died and I think the guy that rode through
the red light should haved the book thrown at him, but if the hell
Ride is *such* a dangerous event and if riders are *always* breaking
the law and it happens *every* weekend and the old guy walks along
that stretch of road *every* day you would think he would know to
take a little extra care?

Let's blame the victim. Old bloke walked accross the crosswalk after a bunch
of cyclists stopped for him. How silly is that?

Theo