Stem Failure?

Old December 25th 11, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Stem Failure?

Does this failure look typical to anybody?

I am borderline-obsessive about tightening to spec (48 inch
pounds in this case), so I don't think it was a case of
over-tightening.

Blurry Photo On Bike:
http://tinyurl.com/7dq5brf

Clearer Photos Of Pieces:
http://tinyurl.com/82yaleg
http://tinyurl.com/6wgtcva
http://tinyurl.com/7nwjlzg
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 25th 11, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Does this failure look typical to anybody?

I am borderline-obsessive about tightening to spec (48 inch
pounds in this case), so I don't think it was a case of
over-tightening.

Blurry Photo On Bike:
http://tinyurl.com/7dq5brf

Clearer Photos Of Pieces:
http://tinyurl.com/82yaleg
http://tinyurl.com/6wgtcva
http://tinyurl.com/7nwjlzg

I just see a white screen.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 25th 11, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
oes this failure look typical to anybody?

:I am borderline-obsessive about tightening to spec (48 inch
ounds in this case), so I don't think it was a case of
ver-tightening.

:Blurry Photo On Bike:
:http://tinyurl.com/7dq5brf

:Clearer Photos Of Pieces:
:http://tinyurl.com/82yaleg
:http://tinyurl.com/6wgtcva
:http://tinyurl.com/7nwjlzg

No pictures...
--
sig 8
Old December 25th 11, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Clearer Photos Of Pieces:http://tinyurl.com/82yaleghttp://tin...rl.com/7nwjlzg
--
Pete Cresswell

"Links also broken" (just a little Christmas Day humor attempted
there).
--D-y
Old December 25th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 15:28:08 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Does this failure look typical to anybody?

I am borderline-obsessive about tightening to spec (48 inch
pounds in this case), so I don't think it was a case of
over-tightening.

Blurry Photo On Bike:
http://tinyurl.com/7dq5brf

Clearer Photos Of Pieces:
http://tinyurl.com/82yaleg
http://tinyurl.com/6wgtcva
http://tinyurl.com/7nwjlzg

The links don't work. Picassa returns "Sorry, that page was not
found" for all of them. The main site works:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108149798664924808733/
but I can't find the November72011 sub directory.
Perhaps permissions to view without a login?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 26th 11, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

wrote:

Does this failure look typical to anybody?

I am borderline-obsessive about tightening to spec (48 inch
pounds in this case), so I don't think it was a case of
over-tightening.

Blurry Photo On Bike:
http://tinyurl.com/7dq5brf

Clearer Photos Of Pieces:
http://tinyurl.com/82yaleg
http://tinyurl.com/6wgtcva
http://tinyurl.com/7nwjlzg

The links don't work. Picassa returns "Sorry, that page was not
found" for all of them. The main site works:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108149798664924808733/
but I can't find the November72011 sub directory.
Perhaps permissions to view without a login?

The links work fine for me.

Concerning the picture, showing a 4-bolt stem with the front "plate"
split cleanly in half along the horizontal: That is truly scary. I had
read that 4 bolts should be safer than 2, given that with two the
failure any one bolt will lead to catastrophic failure. Never considered
the possibility of the plate itself failing.

Ned
Old December 26th 11, 09:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Ned Mantei wrote:
Concerning the picture, showing a 4-bolt stem with the front
"plate" split cleanly in half along the horizontal: That is truly
scary.

It's not the worst failure mode though: the bar will turn in the
loose clamp but the rider will stay able to steer and (carefully)
brake.

Anyway: From the failure mode I would expect the plate was bent,
i.e. the bar either over size or deformed or the bolts way
overtightened. Thomson might be interested in stem and bar.

I had read that 4 bolts should be safer than 2, given that with
two the failure any one bolt will lead to catastrophic failure.

If 1 bolt in a 2 bolt stem fails the bending forces on the plate are
pretty and it's likely to snap near the remaining bolt, thus freeing
the bar and removing all steering, which typically results in a
crash.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei
Old December 26th 11, 09:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Helmut Springer

Ned Mantei wrote:
Concerning the picture, showing a 4-bolt stem with the front
"plate" split cleanly in half along the horizontal: That is truly
scary.

It's not the worst failure mode though: the bar will turn in the
loose clamp but the rider will stay able to steer and (carefully)
brake.

Anyway: From the failure mode I would expect the plate was bent,
i.e. the bar either off size or deformed or the bolts way
overtightened. Thomson might be interested in stem and bar.

I had read that 4 bolts should be safer than 2, given that with
two the failure any one bolt will lead to catastrophic failure.

If 1 bolt in a 2 bolt stem fails the bending forces on the plate are
pretty high and it's likely to snap near the remaining bolt, thus

Old December 26th 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Dec 25, 8:28*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Does this failure look typical to anybody?

I am borderline-obsessive about tightening to spec (48 inch
pounds in this case), so I don't think it was a case of
over-tightening.

Blurry Photo On Bike:http://tinyurl.com/7dq5brf

Clearer Photos Of Pieces:http://tinyurl.com/82yaleghttp://tin...rl.com/7nwjlzg
--
Pete Cresswell

Looks like a low strength material failure. The plate is simply too
thin as a cast item, it should be cold forged or at least machined
from rolled material in those dimensions. Only if you bulked up the
bar diameter could you be held in any way to blame, but the appearance
of the fracture, from the given images, simply does not suggest this.
Old December 26th 11, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 26-12-2011 14:38, thirty-six schreef:
On Dec 25, 8:28 pm, wrote:
Does this failure look typical to anybody?

I am borderline-obsessive about tightening to spec (48 inch
pounds in this case), so I don't think it was a case of
over-tightening.

Blurry Photo On Bike:http://tinyurl.com/7dq5brf

Clearer Photos Of Pieces:http://tinyurl.com/82yaleghttp://tin...rl.com/7nwjlzg
--
Pete Cresswell

Looks like a low strength material failure. The plate is simply too
thin as a cast item, it should be cold forged or at least machined
from rolled material in those dimensions. Only if you bulked up the
bar diameter could you be held in any way to blame, but the appearance
of the fracture, from the given images, simply does not suggest this.

I'm sure it is machined. The fracture looks brittle though.

Lou

Stem bolt failure Colin Marshall Techniques 18 September 30th 05 03:51 PM
Stem Bolt Failure - longish Colin Marshall Australia 21 September 27th 05 12:22 AM
wtb: 6-spd DT/stem shimano shifters, nice alloy mtn hbar/stem for SMALL mountain bike [email protected] Marketplace 1 March 29th 05 10:20 PM
Stem Failure David M. Grey Techniques 10 February 14th 05 06:58 PM
FA: Salsa stem, Cinelli stem, Shimano 165mm cranks Dave Marketplace 1 March 5th 04 11:46 PM