I can't believe I waited so long.

Old May 1st 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Default I can't believe I waited so long.

About 10 years ago I put Shimano LX parallel-push V-brakes on my touring
bike. Ever since then the front one has had a horrible squeal.
I tried all the common treatements; Different kinds of pads, adjusting
toe-in, dismantle, grease, reassemble. Nothing ever worked. I just lived
with it.

Finally I installed a set of basic Shimano V-brakes. Holy cow. What a
difference. No more squeak and so much more stopping power. I can't
believe I put up with the LX's for as long as I did.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old May 1st 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

widely known the 'basic's' installation is foolproof
Old May 1st 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 1-5-2013 18:20, Király schreef:
About 10 years ago I put Shimano LX parallel-push V-brakes on my touring
bike. Ever since then the front one has had a horrible squeal.
I tried all the common treatements; Different kinds of pads, adjusting
toe-in, dismantle, grease, reassemble. Nothing ever worked. I just lived
with it.

Finally I installed a set of basic Shimano V-brakes. Holy cow. What a
difference. No more squeak and so much more stopping power. I can't
believe I put up with the LX's for as long as I did.

After my first set of XTR V-brakes on a second hand bike started to
squeel like hell because of the developed play in the pivots of the
parallel mechanism I was cured. I switched to simple Avid V brakes and
never looked back.

Lou
Old May 1st 13, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:19:24 PM UTC-4, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 1-5-2013 18:20, Király schreef:

About 10 years ago I put Shimano LX parallel-push V-brakes on my touring

bike. Ever since then the front one has had a horrible squeal.

I tried all the common treatements; Different kinds of pads, adjusting

toe-in, dismantle, grease, reassemble. Nothing ever worked. I just lived

with it.

Finally I installed a set of basic Shimano V-brakes. Holy cow. What a

difference. No more squeak and so much more stopping power. I can't

believe I put up with the LX's for as long as I did.

After my first set of XTR V-brakes on a second hand bike started to

squeel like hell because of the developed play in the pivots of the

parallel mechanism I was cured. I switched to simple Avid V brakes and

never looked back.

I got very used to hearing the parallel squeal on a friend's bike, a guy who had much more money than I, and always wanted to buy the "best" - defined as the most expensive.

What amazes me is that Shimano somehow missed this problem during product development, or else chose to ignore it.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 2nd 13, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 5:49:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Elementary my dear
Watson, elementary.

Built in break squeal is a clever new feature of brakes so that as you brake to avoid hitting texting pedestrians on the road the loud squealing brakes also work as an auditory warning device which causes to texter to look up whilst saying , "WTF?" and then hopefully jumping out of your way before you hit them.

Cheers
Old May 2nd 13, 05:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 1, 10:54*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

What amazes me is that Shimano somehow missed this problem during development, or else chose to ignore it.

- Frank Krygowski

Elementary my dear
Watson, elementary.

Built in break squeal is a clever new feature of brakes so that as you brake to avoid hitting texting pedestrians on the road the loud squealing brakes also work as an auditory warning device which causes to texter to look up whilst saying , "WTF?" and then hopefully jumping out of your way before you hit them.

Cheers

IOW, it's a feature, not a bug. Got it!

- Frank Krygowski