Thank You Memphis Unicycle Club

Old April 8th 04, 04:55 AM
chirokid

Default Thank You Memphis Unicycle Club

Hi Guys! I am fully recovered too. Had a most wonderful time in
Memphis.

Tommy and Rody were great hosts. All the MUC gang, a wonderful bunch of
adults and children (sure wish I had the skills of 11 year old Sam).

Tom and Tommy were tons of fun our our Saturday prep-ride. Charlie was
amazing. However, I am most grateful for Jeff Skinner for being my
"Runner", and a very good runner at that. Thanks Jeff.

I am excited for next year. Now I just have to go ride some more.
--chirokid--

--
chirokid - Bug Killing Unicyclist

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old April 8th 04, 05:48 AM
Eublapharis13

Dang I really wanted to meet you guys...But I was busy working on our
new house and I kinda forgot about it. Oh well, after we move I will
probably be coming to the unicycle meetings on Tuesdays again.

--
Eublapharis13 - Hopefully I won't do this now!

Age doesn't matter...........unless you're a cheese.
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

Old April 8th 04, 06:40 AM
john_childs

bugman wrote:
*Another good part is they had awards for the 2 groups of unicyclists.
Relay teams and Solo. We were so good, all of us medaled!
Officialy I came in third in the relay teams. Way I figure it I came
in first in my category since I was the only one in my group that had
a 24" Keith finished first in his realy group with the 29" and I
believe it was Greg and his son who finished first overall(Relay), and
first in the 26" group. Actually the medal was cool, but the
experience was the best part.
*

No Cokers?
Was the course Cokerable? Would a Coker have been faster than a 29er?

That's how you can improve your time next year. Next year do the
cycling leg on a Coker.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old April 8th 04, 11:37 AM
Tmornstar

Hi John,

We never thought that the course was "Cokerable" until Charles saw
Memphis Mud and me ride our 29ers there the day before. We have always
used 24" on this course and we sort of felt that we were pushing the
envelope by using 29ers. Not to be out-done, Charles showed up to the
race with his Coker. “Chirokid”, too, decided on Saturday night to try
a 29er for the race. I don't remember the time differences but all
three 29ers beat the Coker. No offense to Charles but I think the
results had more to do with conditioning than the wheel diameter.
Through the technical sections (about half of the 6.5 mile course) I
can't imagine riding a Coker and there is so much of it I can't imagine
running through the woods with one either. I didn't have a chance to ask
Charles, specifically how the ride went for him.

I had a ride that I created especially for this course. It is a Bedford
powder coated frame, C/F seat w/air and KH cover and Kinsport
handle/bumpers. The magic part of my ride is the wheel (of course). I
laced a Mavic tandem rim over a powder coated Suzue hub and, since it
was relatively dry, used a Schwalbe "Big Apple" for rubber. I used 155
cranks.

The Big Apple is amazing! It has tons of air to play with to adjust for
the perfect suspension. I weight about 145 and I ran it at 30 psi. It
was wonderfully nimble and super-duper fast through the woods. At some
places, it was frighteningly fast. Besides, the tire has that groovy
reflective strip that lights-up beautifully with flash photography in
the woods!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old April 8th 04, 05:38 PM
billham

A couple of nights ago I had a new unicycling experience. I had a dream
about unicycling, probably due to all the posting about this Wolfman
event. A key part of the dream was the playing and gathering at the
Thompson house. I remember Tommy from the dream, but can't recall
meeting Rody, just know she was there.

I guess I need to drive down next year for the event or be forced to
have another dream afterwards. By the way it was a good dream and the
hosting of the party by Tommy and Rody was appreciated in my dream as
well.

I am open to any interpretations of this dream. As if I need to
mention it, I'm sure some will be offered.

Dreaming and smiling!

Bill

--
billham

Direction is everything, distance is secondary.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

Old April 9th 04, 02:46 AM
reidj

I concur with Tommy's "Man-o-man" review of the weekend. The race was so
much fun, and Tommy and Rody were so hospitable - thank you both for
everything.

Everybody out there please do yourself a favor and take part in one of
these muni & running races. It is a great challenge and is a fantastic
way to gain publicity for our sport. I'm getting the hankering to race
in a local "sprint" triathlon on my uni.

-Reid

P.S. The real reason Charles was slower on his Coker than the 29-er gang
was the aerodynamic drag caused by his smile he had plastered on his
face. He was having so much fun flying over the singletrack on the
Coker!

--
reidj - Looking for a uni-basketball game
reidj's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5755

Old April 9th 04, 03:19 AM
Tmornstar

Of course you already know that you are imagining-dreaming all the fun
that you are going to have next year at the Wolfman!

Come on down!

Tommy

Old April 9th 04, 05:07 AM
chirokid

reidj wrote:
*I'm getting the hankering to race in a local "sprint" triathlon on my
uni.
-Reid-*

Reid, you are da man. Great to finally have you posting to the forum.
Let us know about the "sprint" triathlon, you might get some extra
visitors.

No matter what, I'll see you at Wolfman next year. I claim the left end
of the sofa. --chirokid--

Old April 9th 04, 08:00 AM
Klaas Bil

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:38:27 -0500, "billham" wrote:

I am open to any interpretations of this dream. As if I need to
mention it, I'm sure some will be offered.

Did you know there is a "Gallery of unicycling dreams" thread in JC?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

Old April 9th 04, 01:13 PM
Memphis Mud

reidj wrote:
* ...local "sprint" triathlon ...*

Website?
Details please.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987