Portsmouth, NH Riders .....

Old August 14th 05, 02:22 PM
TomCAt

Default Portsmouth, NH Riders .....

Yesterday I did a Portsmouth to Kittery ride. If you live in this area I am
sure you know the route. Over the Memorial Bridge, Follow the shore route
into Kittery toward Frisbee's store. After Frisbee's take a right at
Chauncey Creek, head toward Fort Foster.

It was hotter than hell. And humid.

I get all the way to Fort Foster. As I pull up to the little gate, this guy
says "excuse me, I must charge you $5 dollars to enter". I look at this guy
and ask "$5 dollars, on a bicycle", "your kidding, right"? He repeats. "$5
dollars".

This area used to be Federal Property. I have cycled here for years. There
was no entrance fee. There isn't any facilities that I know of. It is just
the land at the entrance to Portsmouth, NH harbor on the Kittery side.

Remember, it was hot, humid and I was not in a very good mood.

I exploded. "What do you mean it is $5 dollars to enter this park", "that
is ridiculous" , "I am on a bicycle".

"Now, now" said the fellow, "don't get all upset, it is the town of Kittery
that sets the price".

"I ride all the way out here, it is hot, it is humid and all I want to do is
go and look at the water and then leave and you don't want me to get upset"?
"You should be Fxxxxxg ashamed of yourself". Now I am really letting go.
"I am on a bicycle", "I am not polluting", "this is bull****", ......... at
this point the fellow asks me not too get to upset. "Upset, you ask me not
to get upset"? "It is 100*, the town of Kittery is denying entrance to a
park someone on a bicycle and the park is a former Federal Land which used
to be free and you don't want me to get upset"? "Go fxxxk yourself".

As I leave car after car arrives with multiple people and their dogs. They
all enter without paying. How is this, I ask myself.

The answer: The town of Kittery was given the land by the Federal
government; that is us as in WE as in the CITIZENS of the USA. So what
did the town of Kittery do? They set up a fee system. If you live in
Kittery or are related to someone who lives in Kittery you can get a pass
for ARE YOU READY ..... $10 PER YEAR! THAT IS FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY!

BUT, IF YOU ARE A CYCLIST WHO RIDES OVER FROM PORTSMOUTH, NH YOU MUST PAY $5
JUST TO GO IN AND TURN AROUND!

Now, I am not telling anyone to break the law. But, if you live in the area
and your mountain bike happens to ram into the fence just past where the
little entrance is and that fence gets all broken, wouldn't that be awful.
But, since the fence is broken and mountain bikes like to go down trails I
would think that maybe a new trail would be a nice addition to the Fort
Foster Park.

Remember, I'm not telling you to do this. Or recommending. It is just that
this COULD HAPPEN IF SOMEONE ON A MOUNTAIN BIKE ISN'T CAREFUL.

Ride safely, be careful.

If you ram into the fence at Fort Foster, be safe. If I come along and see
that the fence is broken I will go in and make sure that you arent hurt or
something.

Old August 14th 05, 03:14 PM
TomCAt

Made a few calls. Trying to figure out why Kittery is charging $5 dollars
to enter a park that was free.

My friend says "they don't want the people of color, the immigrants, to
invade their little park".

He went on to say that on the NH side of the river there is a park, Ordionne
( spelling?? ), and on the weekends there are all kinds of folks who go and
set up and enjoy and many of them are black, green, purple, and don't speak
English.

In his opinion, Kittery is trying to keep the park for the Kittery folks and
doesn't want the "other America" ( his words ) to visit their park.

This seems to me to be totally UN-AMERICAN.

If this is true, then Kittery is a racist town. Could this be true?

If you know of the situation at Fort Foster and if the racist accusation is
true; post it here.

If Kittery is setting up a system to keep "people" out of its park and the
system is UN AMERICAN .. let's send this info to the US Attorney.

$10 dollars for a family, and its relative to visit a park for the whole
year and $5 dollars for a bicyclist to enter, look at the water and turn
around seems to be a system that is set up to keep somebody out.

It kept me out.

Think about this for a moment. A family of bicyclists; Mom, Dad, and two
children ride over from Portsmouth. 4x5= $20

$20 so they can take a look at the water. That is twice the cost of a
Kittery family pass which lets the Kittery family enter each and every day
of the year!

This doesn't pass the smell test.

Come on Bicyclists .............. we can do it. Free Fort Foster!

Stop Kittery, Maine and its town government from setting up a system that
keeps Americans from entering Fort Foster.

Old August 14th 05, 04:00 PM
bryanska

Many towns do this for their residents. Joliet, IL charges non-resident
fees for its park and the golf course. The town owns the land, they can
do what they want.

Old August 14th 05, 04:06 PM
TomCAt

No they can't ...

The land was "given" to the town by the US Government. This gift doesn't
mean the town gets to keep out people of color, etc.

If the town sets up a system which is blantantly racist, anti anyone who
isn't a town resident or family member of a town resident and that said town
got the gift of the land from us, we Americans, then that town is in
violation of anti discrimination laws.

ps ... is Joliet still the home of the Mafia..

oups.com...

Old August 14th 05, 04:29 PM
TomCAt

As I read your posting once more I got to thinking ////// ???? ////

Say you live in York, Maine. You are Black. For years you have enjoyed
bicycling to Fort Foster which is at the entrance to Portsmouth, NH.

So, one day you come along and you ride up to the gate, a gate that didn't
even exist when last you rode there.

The guy in front of you is riding his fancy $5,000 bicycle and he is wearing
all the best cycling clothes.

The gate guy says "hi, mr Kerry" come right in. Or, "hi, mr Kennedy have a
nice visit" ... or "hi Mr Bush, watch out for the poison ivy".

Then you come up to the gate and he says "that will be $300 dollars".

Now, since you live nearby, you know that the town has received money from
the Federal Government to improve its bathroom at the park.

Yet, you can't afford to pay $300 dollars for a one hour visit.

Huum .. you think. Seems like the town wants it both ways.

oups.com...

Old August 14th 05, 04:43 PM
Peter Cole

TomCAt wrote:
Made a few calls. Trying to figure out why Kittery is charging $5 dollars
to enter a park that was free.

My friend says "they don't want the people of color, the immigrants, to
invade their little park".

He went on to say that on the NH side of the river there is a park, Ordionne
( spelling?? ), and on the weekends there are all kinds of folks who go and
set up and enjoy and many of them are black, green, purple, and don't speak
English.

You should go to that side, I always picnic on the immigrant side of
parks, the people are more polite and the grilling food smells much better.

In his opinion, Kittery is trying to keep the park for the Kittery folks and
doesn't want the "other America" ( his words ) to visit their park.

This seems to me to be totally UN-AMERICAN.

If this is true, then Kittery is a racist town. Could this be true?

I thought all of NH was racist. "Live free or die" is some kind of code,
I think.
Old August 14th 05, 05:59 PM
bryanska

Please clarify - if the land was a govt gift, it can't be used to
collect money - do I have that right?

Old August 14th 05, 07:22 PM
TomCAt

Peter, the Live, Free or Die state is New Hamphire. Kittery is in Maine.

It is easy to remember. In NH people have a full set of teeth. In Maine,
one tooth.

Seriously, the Fort Foster issue is very upsetting. For years I have cycled
to Ft Foster from Portsmouth. It is a great bicycle ride. You get to the
Fort, stop, look at the water, maybe take a break and then back on the
bicycle and head for Portsmouth.

Kittery, like many of the towns on the southern Maine coast, was once a very
nice working class, lots of lobstermen/fishing boats families/people who
worked at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard town.

It is being taken over by yuppy's who work in MASS. They jump on RT 95 and
head south.

As the MASS people have invaded the town has changed. The houses are big,
rich.

And now the rich jerks want to keep bicyclists out of Ft Foster. They don't
mind getting the Federal Government to fix the place up for them though.

They have taken over a beautiful park and now want only "the townees" to
enter. No stinking bicyclists!

Tomorrow I am going to get in touch with the US Attorney's office. I will
ask if what Kittery is doing is legal.

My feeling is; Kittery can charge a fee but it must be fair. They can't
set up a system that keeps out regular folks and at the same time take
Federal Money for all their improvements.

I'm just one cyclist fighting back. Trying.

I may not be successful but I am going to try.

Old August 14th 05, 08:04 PM
Peter Cole

TomCAt wrote:
Peter, the Live, Free or Die state is New Hamphire. Kittery is in Maine.

It is easy to remember. In NH people have a full set of teeth. In Maine,
one tooth.

Seriously, the Fort Foster issue is very upsetting. For years I have cycled
to Ft Foster from Portsmouth. It is a great bicycle ride. You get to the
Fort, stop, look at the water, maybe take a break and then back on the
bicycle and head for Portsmouth.

Kittery, like many of the towns on the southern Maine coast, was once a very
nice working class, lots of lobstermen/fishing boats families/people who
worked at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard town.

It is being taken over by yuppy's who work in MASS. They jump on RT 95 and
head south.

As the MASS people have invaded the town has changed. The houses are big,
rich.

That's because all of the nice little undeveloped spots in MA are
overrun by New Yorkers. It's called population pressure, I think.

My sister moved down to RI, usually considered the least desirable part
of the New England coast just to get shore property. Once there, she
became embroiled in all the access/view/mooring/launching/landscaping
issues with all her equally beach-greedy neighbors. It's such bull****.
Talk about tragedy of the commons. I can't even stand to visit most
coastal communities anymore.

My only familiarity with the Kittery/Portsmouth area is that it's part
of the route my club's (Charles River Wheelmen) annual "Tour of New
England" takes. Every Memorial Day weekend we ride a 3-day, 350 mile
course that touches every New England state. Riding to the coast from
Dover NH to Kittery, then to Portsmouth, Rye, Hampton and Seabrook on
the way back to Boston is beautiful, but I wouldn't want to live there
(or even vacation) -- too much development -- as usual, people have
ruined the very thing they supposedly valued.

What I've discovered, even in fairly densely populated New England,
there are very beautiful places that aren't at all popular -- just not
fashionable. I think it's always that way, there's enough to go around
(this is a big country), but when the area you've known becomes popular,
it's time to move on.
Old August 15th 05, 03:05 AM
TomCAt

Peter, ...
"What I've discovered, even in fairly densely populated New England,
there are very beautiful places that aren't at all popular -- just not
fashionable. I think it's always that way, there's enough to go around
(this is a big country), but when the area you've known becomes popular,
it's time to move on."

I used to think like you. I figured the rich guys were just a nuisance.
They had their little spots. This is not the case anymore. The USA is
becoming more and more a two society country. The haves and the rest of
us. And the haves want all the good land, the shore front, and they don't
want to be bothered by the regular folks. Basically, they can't stand us.
We remind them of their insignificance.

Last election. Kerry and Bush. Just two regular guys; sure. Kerry has
more homes that the king of Spain. Have you ever been to Nantucket. It was
a kinda nice place until the rich and the new rich decided to take over.
Now you go there and are told don't go there, and you can't go there, and
there is no admitance there. Meanwhile, you get out to the beach and there
they are. The rich *******s are parked right on the beach in their four
wheel drive jeeps. No problem for them. Remember, the rules are made for
us, not them.

As for Bush, Kennebunkport in the summer and who knows where .. Texas ranch
I guess, in the winter.

These people can't stand us regular folks. They never worked with us, or
ate with us, or talked to us, and they sure and hell don't want us on their
beaches.

More and more I see places that I cycled getting closed off. Beaches I used
to walk on but now can't get too.

This is happening everywhere.

I still plan on contacting the US Attorney's office. As far as I am
concerned, if I dont try then the rich assholes have won again.