Spare Tube Transportation

Old January 4th 04, 04:45 AM
Kerry Nikolaisen

Default Spare Tube Transportation

Went for a ride on saturday, and looked at the tube before I put it in my
back pocket. Don't know when the last time was I looked at it, and it
wouldn't make any difference this time (since I didn't have an extra), but
there was an obvious crack or abrasion along where it was folded.

I am guessing that this tube was 1.5 years old at the most (yes I haven't
flatted in that long). It has always been folded since coming out of the
box that way. The only difference was that I replaced the "stock" black
rubber band with a regular rubber band (the abrasion was not near the rubber
band). The valve was also in the center of the fold, and appeared to have
no affect on the abrasion. This was a good tube (Continental).

I don't think the abrasion was a result fo movement of the tube in my back
pocket (or was it?). Anyone had similar troubles? Needless to say, I was
lucky I didn't flat that day.

How do you carry your tubes? I don't think I can be sold on a seatwedge
pack. The rattle drives me crazy.

Kerry

Old January 4th 04, 05:23 AM
Andrew Morris

I ride with a CamelBak, be it on road or MTB... Kathmandu laptop backpack
if commuting...

usually carry a glueless patch kit, small Gary Fisher pump, and a spare tube
for the bike I happen to be on...

my mobile phone goes in the right hand pocket of my jersey, and my walkman
in the left hand pocket if i'm riding alone... centre pocket is usually
empty, as the backpacks both sit there...

"Kerry Nikolaisen" f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t wrote in
message ...

Old January 4th 04, 05:34 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Kerry Nikolaisen" f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t writes:

How do you carry your tubes?

One discrete way is to wrap it within a plastic bread bag
or some other improvised stuff sack, and jam it between
the underside of the saddle and the rails. That way, it
always stays with the bike. It's a forgetproof approach.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old January 4th 04, 07:19 AM

Kerry Nikolaisen writes:

Went for a ride on Saturday, and looked at the tube before I put it
in my back pocket. Don't know when the last time was I looked at
it, and it wouldn't make any difference this time (since I didn't
have an extra), but there was an obvious crack or abrasion along
where it was folded.

There are tubes that are made of a crack prone "rubber". They are
often glossy and somewhat plastic rather than elastic. I have run
across them and toss them out because the onset of cracks is apparent.

There are many ways to fold a tube to be carried as a spare but they
all require some tight folds, folds that a reasonable tube can take
and for a long time. Get a new tube (or two) and re-fold it to your
liking after taking it out of the box.

Jobst Brandt

Old January 4th 04, 01:04 PM
Denver C. Fox

Spare Tube Transportation

Sadly, I have been carrying mine around my waist!

Working on NOT carrying a spare tube (at least an extra one!)

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old January 4th 04, 02:02 PM
Buck

"Kerry Nikolaisen" f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t wrote in
message ...

How do you carry your tubes? I don't think I can be sold on a seatwedge
pack. The rattle drives me crazy.

On the mountain bike, I throw all of my gear into the Camelback. On the road
bike, I use a seat pack. To prevent the tube and toolkit from rattling
around, I wrap all of the gear into a shop towel. This also gives me
something to wipe my hands on after I change a flat.

-Buck

Old January 4th 04, 02:06 PM
Peter Cole

"Kerry Nikolaisen" wrote:

How do you carry your tubes? I don't think I can be sold on a seatwedge
pack. The rattle drives me crazy.

Tubes can easily have holes abraded in them if they bounce around. I found a
seat wedge pack (Zefal) that has a draw cord zig-zagged along the zipper that
compresses the pack to keep things from rattling, works very well. The other
nice thing about this pack is that it uses a bar shaped fitting which hangs
the bag from the saddle rails, together with a velcro strap around the seat
post, there are no adapters, so the bag easily moves from bike to bike.

Old January 4th 04, 02:12 PM
Kerry Nikolaisen

wrote in message
Kerry Nikolaisen writes:

Went for a ride on Saturday, and looked at the tube before I put it
in my back pocket. Don't know when the last time was I looked at
it, and it wouldn't make any difference this time (since I didn't
have an extra), but there was an obvious crack or abrasion along
where it was folded.

There are tubes that are made of a crack prone "rubber". They are
often glossy and somewhat plastic rather than elastic. I have run
across them and toss them out because the onset of cracks is apparent.

There are many ways to fold a tube to be carried as a spare but they
all require some tight folds, folds that a reasonable tube can take
and for a long time. Get a new tube (or two) and re-fold it to your
liking after taking it out of the box.

Thanks Jobst.

The interesting thing is that I have the same tube in the rear tire (approx.
1.5 years) and it appears to be doing well. Perhaps the abrasion/cracking
has more to with the folding of the "material" than the material itself.

Come to think of if - this did appear more "shiny" than the others. Strange
because I hold Continental (esp. tires) in high regard. The tires that I
have used from them are long lasting and bomb-proof.

Kerry

Old January 4th 04, 03:22 PM
andrew smith

[...]

In the past 6 months, I haven't ridden with a spare, patch kit, or tool kit.

They were lost in the move and I haven't bothered replacing them.

a.

Old January 4th 04, 03:45 PM
Tom Keats

In article et,
"andrew smith" writes:

In the past 6 months, I haven't ridden with a spare, patch kit, or tool kit.

They were lost in the move and I haven't bothered replacing them.

The half-year of living dangerously :-)

cheers,
Tom