Torker DX problem--crank slop

Old August 17th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

Default Torker DX problem--crank slop

Yesterday, my son was riding his DX24 for the first time in a couple
weeks; the last time it had been ridden was by my buddy, who's
considerably heavier than my son, on what I'd call a black diamond
trail. Anyway, my son said noticed there was a "catch" in the cranks--a
slight sense of movement. So I rode it and felt the same thing, which
is hard to describe, but feels almost like something slips every
half-revolution or so when putting power into the cranks. So, when
first getting going, or when hitting the brakes, it's more noticeable
than when just cruising along.

Here's what I've done so far, without fixing the problem:

removed wheel from frame

removed cranks

cleaned and lubed splines and cranks

replaced wheel bearings with new ones

removed, lubed, and tightened pedal spindles

put everything back together

As I said, this hasn't fixed the problem. Any ideas about what it might
be? It's nothing that can't be lived with, but it is annoying.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 17th 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joe2005

Hub keyway.

--
Joe2005

nobody knows what happened to that boy after that.-Nutcracker

i know. he was kidnapped by aliens, learnt their ways, stole the
biggest ship he could, travelled back in time by mistake and crashed
the plane on the earth surface. he was the one who killed the
dinosaurs. -ivan
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 17th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chexjc

Brian O. wrote:
Make sure the pinch bolt is sufficiently tight.

This was the diagnosis to the sound from my DX24.

--
Chexjc

www.myspace.com/thelostguitarist
AIM: Guitardude88
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JasonCheckla

Brian O. wrote:

brendan wrote:

when i flex both arms one looks puny next to the other. Mind you it was
that way after years of badminton...

And maybe playing a little too much with the shuttlecock as well?
Hmm?

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 17th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

grab both cranks and rock it back and forth. if you feel the slip then
it is probably the hub. ( i am thinking of what the 04kh hubs do, and
you fix it by taking the hub bolt and running it all the way in with
out the cranks on then take it out) not sure if that would work for
that though

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

Unicaw89 wrote:
Koxx rapes Torker hard!

skianduniaddict wrote:
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy

johnfoss wrote:
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 18th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

Yeah, it's the hub's keyway, and when it gets loose it's referred to as
keyway slop. This same thing happened to a friend of mine's DX. Still
rideable, and he said after awhile he didn't even notice it anymore.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 18th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

After a year and some months of riding my DX, the right crank comes
loose now. The pinchbolt on that side is also stripped, so I just had
to tighten the crankbolt after every 5-10 rides.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 18th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Det-riot

this happened to my learner uni. the problem was i had cracked where
the hub connects to the flange, i doubt that happened to oyu DX though.

--
Det-riot

Ducttape wrote:
sounds like he toook a feild trip to jail.... DON'T DROP THE SOAP
DUDE!!!

KOXX-ONE* DOES NOT* SUCK!!!!
'MRIS!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2486qk)
'1000th Post' (http://tinyurl.com/33shzt)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 18th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forrestunifreak

It might be something simple, like not having one of the crank bolts
tight enough, or not having the bearing holders tight enough.

If you can make any of those wiggle by pushing it back and forth with
your hands, it's not tight enough.

--
forrestunifreak

I will, because I can.
'*-My Gallery-*' (http://tinyurl.com/wcrsl)
*www.qu-ax.com* *unicycle for
christ*

"Oh... they don't kick bricks, do they?" ~ Joe Hodgekins
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 18th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

Thanks for the feedback. It's not the crank bolts, pinch bolts, or
bearing holders, as these are all tight. I can't wiggle anything with
my hands--it's all solid. It's only detectable when riding.

So I'm thinking it may be this keyway issue. Is there anything that can
be done about it? Can it be unslopped?

--
pkittle

*==========================
Old August 18th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendon557

what you shuld do is have your son hold it up in the air and have him
spin the cranks and you shuld lay under it and see if you can see what
the problems is and see if you can fix them

--
brendon557

Santa Claus is lucky, he knows where all the naughty girls live
If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of
meat?
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there
Check out my website www.OffRoadRuckus.com
http://www.usenet.com

Torker DX problem--crank slop Brian O. Unicycling 0 August 17th 07 10:55 PM
torker dx problem? llamaman Unicycling 4 August 6th 07 04:55 PM
torker dx problem? torkerdx Unicycling 0 August 5th 07 04:35 PM
Torker Lx Problem tunkie Unicycling 4 December 27th 06 08:25 PM
Torker Lx Problem johnfoss Unicycling 0 December 27th 06 01:25 AM