"Had a beer ot two" and drank some whiskey after stage 17

Old May 19th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default "Had a beer ot two" and drank some whiskey after stage 17

The Landis hearing: Geoghegan confesses
By Jason Sumner
VeloNews.com
This report filed May 18, 2007
A day after former Tour de France champion Greg LeMond claimed he
received a threatening phone call meant to dissuade him from
testifying in the Floyd Landis arbitration hearing, the alleged caller
confessed, claiming he was "angry" and had "drunk a beer or two," but
was not trying to intimidate LeMond.

In a press release, Will Geoghegan, who until yesterday served as
Landis's business manger, said, "I apologize to Greg LeMond and his
family for the distress I caused by my call. I also apologize to the
arbitration panel and to Floyd Landis and his legal team for the
distraction. I have been very angry about how unfair this whole
proceeding is to Floyd, a great friend and a greater champion, and
stupidly tried to take out my anger on Greg. I acted on my own,
impulsively, after a beer or two. I never thought about keeping Greg
from testifying. If I had, I would have concluded that since Greg is
such a fierce competitor my stunt would likely make him more resolved
to testify. What I did was wrong and very unfair to Greg. I am very
sorry about and embarrassed by my conduct."

On Thursday, LeMond testified under oath that he received a phone call
Wednesday night from a mysterious caller, who identified himself as
"Uncle Ron." LeMond was perplexed at first, but soon became concerned
when the caller made direct references to sexual abuse LeMond suffered
as child. LeMond claimed that up until Thursday, only close friends
and family knew about the abuse, and that he had shared the
information with Landis in a phone conversation they had in August of
2006.

"[The caller] said 'Hi Greg, this is your uncle. This is your uncle
Ron and I'm going to be there tomorrow,'" LeMond recalled. "I said,
'Who is this?' He said, 'I'm going to be there and we can talk about
how we used to hide your weenie.' I got the picture right away that
there are very few people who know about that. I figured this was
intimidation."

The three-time Tour champ said the caller then hung up, and when
LeMond redialed he got a voicemail message identifying call recipient
as "Will."

LeMond said he tried calling back three more times, finally getting an
answer from someone who identified himself as "Bill." The conversation
was inconclusive, and LeMond hang up and called police. A subsequent
check of the phone number that was saved on LeMond's Blackberry PDA
revealed that it belonged to Geoghegan.

Geoghegan is a longtime friend of Landis, and the pair was once
teammates on the mountain bike racing circuit before Landis made the
switch to road racing.

Following LeMond's testimony on Thursday and then a brief recess,
Geoghegan was called to the witness stand by USADA. But Landis
attorney Howard Jacobs successfully argued that his team needed more
time to prepare for Geoghegan's testimony.

Moments later Landis attorney Suh announced that Geoghegan had been
fired effective immediately. "To the extent there has been any
business relationship between Mr. Landis and Mr. Geoghegan, I would
like to inform the panel that Mr. Landis has made the determination
that Mr. Geoghegan's services are no longer required and they have
separated their agreement as of this moment."

USADA counsel Matt Barnett asked for a clarification as to what
exactly that role was, to which Suh answered, "He had served in the
capacity as business manager at times prior to today. I'm still not
sure exactly what the status was as of the last minute but we have
decided to terminate all business relationships between Mr. Landis and
Mr. Geoghegan as of today as of right now."