Sonora Pass in early November?

Old September 10th 04, 08:02 AM
Sam Huffman

Default Sonora Pass in early November?

I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
the pass is generally open around this time?

Thanks,
Sam
Old September 10th 04, 02:21 PM
Terry Morse

Sam Huffman wrote:

I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
the pass is generally open around this time?

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm

If you do ride it, note that there is no food or water on the east
side of the pass. Also, the ride from Sonora is roller hell. Many
people drive to Dardanelle instead and start riding from there.
Old September 10th 04, 04:47 PM

Sam Huffman writes:

I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
the pass is generally open around this time?

Sometimes it is and often it is not. It all depends when the snow
comes. By all means try it but watch the weather report unless you do
an over and back the same day.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/sr108

If you want to do that, start at Strawberry or even Dardanelle. There
are no ameneties at HWY395 unless you go north to Walker or south to
Bridgeport about 20 miles.

http://tinyurl.com/526dq
http://tinyurl.com/43oab

Jobst Brandt

Old September 10th 04, 06:01 PM
Sam Huffman

Terry Morse wrote:
Sam Huffman wrote:

I'm driving through California first week of November, and thought I
might stop in Sonora for a ride to 395 and back. Can anyone tell me if
the pass is generally open around this time?

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm

If you do ride it, note that there is no food or water on the east
side of the pass. Also, the ride from Sonora is roller hell. Many
people drive to Dardanelle instead and start riding from there.

Thanks for the information; that's what I was looking for. I rode the
Sonora - 395 route last Wednesday, but didn't have time for the return
trip (my wife was driving sag, and we were on the way to Truckee). I'd
like to try both sides, and the ride back down to Sonora seems like a
relaxing way to end the ride.

If the weather is questionable, though, I may take your advice and start
from Dardanelle instead.

Thanks,
Sam