Nor Cal High School MTB League

Old November 20th 04, 03:14 PM
MickeyVonLeo

Default Nor Cal High School MTB League

November 21, 2004

For Immediate Release

Tucson, AZ - Michael Sayers, a professional cyclist with the Health Net
Presented by Maxxis Pro Cycling Team, is pleased to announce his partnership
with the Northern California High School Mountain Bike League. Together they
have formed the Michael "Havoc" Sayers High School MTB Scholarship Fund.

"After nine years as a professional, I finally decided it was time to give back
to the development of American bike racing," Michael said. The Scholarship
will be given to a high school individual, individuals or team that have
demonstrated a financial need to follow their bike racing dreams. "I feel that
sport is an important part of a student's development, both personally and
academically," he said. "I hope this scholarship will reward students who have
gone "above and beyond" in their pursuit of athletic excellence. Who knows, it
might even uncover the next Lance Armstrong," he added.

Michael has assembled a committee to help him decide who receives the funds
each season in addition to aiding him in his fund-raising efforts. The
committee includes Alex Holtz, Mike's best friend and currently lead council
for Syncon Homes in Sacramento, CA. Also Molly Renner, a high school Biology
teacher and former professional rider with Team Shaklee and the Chevrolet LA
Sheriffs joins the committee. A third member is Jason Lokkesmoe, also a pro
cyclist on the Health Net/Maxxis Cycling Team and an adolescent counselor in
Oakland, CA. In addition, Michael asked Matt Fritzinger to help him with the
scholarship decisions. Matt is a Berkeley High School teacher and the
president, founder and more importantly, the "heart" of the NorCal High School
League. The final member of the committee is Jerry Hutchinson, manager of the
newly formed Ford/Specialized Pro Mountain Bike Team and a teacher of autistic
children in Tucson. "I feel this is a great group of individuals who bring so
many different life experiences to the table. I will rely heavily on their
expertise in every decision," Michael said.

If you would like to contribute to the development of the next generation of
American bike racers, please contact Michael at or Matt
via the official League website
www.Norcalmtb.org.