Banned cyclist blames 'twin' after dope test

Old June 16th 05, 06:15 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article . com,
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:

Tom Kunich wrote:

3) Under the American judicial theories of Innocent Until Proven Guilty

Moron -

Tyler isn't going to jail. The criminal standard need not apply.

Sporting federations can do whatever they feel is in the best interest
of the sport. Don't forget that all spectator sports are entertainment.

Without reference to Hamilton's actual level of dopeyness, I certainly
hope that part of the entertainment in cycling isn't whimsical doping
sanctions.

Dumbass -

"Whimsical"?

He tested positive.

Dumberass -

What part of "Without reference to Hamilton's actual level of dopeyness"
don't you understand?

The question is not whether Hamilton's particular case is a matter of
guilt or innocence, it's what standard of evidence is sufficient to
sanction riders.

I don't think the fact that cycling is just a sport is a good reason to
relax the standards. In my platonic universe, every drug cheat gets
caught, and they don't exist. In our world, we have to decide whether
it's better to err on the side of caution (strict standard; some
cheaters prosper) or vigilance (lax evidentiary standard; some
innnocents get nailed). There's also the question of what qualifies as
an innocent (ie, the "they put steroids in my skin cream!" defense), and
the possibility that a lousy standard could be both too cautious and too
vigilant, thus damning the innocent and freeing the guilty. That may be
how the current standard works.

As for Hamiltons particular case, I don't trust my instincts or my
understanding of the matter sufficiently to submit an opinion on his
guilt or innocence. I disagree, however, with the idea that "it's just a
sport" is a good reason to use a relaxed evidentiary standard. I think
it's _important_, both to racers and fans, that the UCI and WADA and the
first assistant pee-cup holder get this stuff right. And that applies
both ways: the drug tests have to be held to rigorous evidentiary
standards, and the IOC has to make sure that next time they don't
accidentally freeze the B sample.

What was the question?

Cyclist rant: back in black John UK 1099 March 18th 05 11:09 AM
Tyler's blood test: feto-maternal haemorrhage Never_Doped Racing 29 September 27th 04 11:18 AM
Tyler Not Cleared, Lab Blunder never_doped Racing 2 September 25th 04 06:33 AM