New toy for Floyd

Old June 14th 05, 04:15 AM
Bob Schwartz

Default New toy for Floyd

http://www.uwalumni.com/onwisconsin/...r/Research.pdf

A PowerTap with a GPS.

After reading the article I'm not sure I get the point. You
should be able to compute what the GPS gives you from the
PowerTap alone. Maybe it makes mapping the data easier.

Bob Schwartz

Old June 14th 05, 05:15 AM

Personally, I like not having any detrimental reliance on outside
technologies. GPS not withstanding, a HAC4 provides as complete
information if not as "absolute" as GPS coordinates. I think the
PowerTap data gain from the association with GPS' absolute qualities.

That help...?

-r

Old June 14th 05, 06:19 AM
Robert Chung

Bob Schwartz wrote:
http://www.uwalumni.com/onwisconsin/...r/Research.pdf

A PowerTap with a GPS.

After reading the article I'm not sure I get the point. You
should be able to compute what the GPS gives you from the
PowerTap alone. Maybe it makes mapping the data easier.

How to turn an expensive power meter into a cheap altimeter:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/watt...altimeter.html

Old June 14th 05, 10:02 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:19:56 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
How to turn an expensive power meter into a cheap altimeter:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/watt...altimeter.html

Nice. Slightly related (2 clicks away): your rosetta page seems to be
missing.

--
Firefox Web Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
Old June 14th 05, 12:04 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

On 06/13/2005 11:19 PM, in article , "Robert
Chung" wrote:

Bob Schwartz wrote:
http://www.uwalumni.com/onwisconsin/...r/Research.pdf

A PowerTap with a GPS.

After reading the article I'm not sure I get the point. You
should be able to compute what the GPS gives you from the
PowerTap alone. Maybe it makes mapping the data easier.

How to turn an expensive power meter into a cheap altimeter:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/watt...altimeter.html

So whatever happened to the full thing? Clicking the "Back to Home" link
(http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/wattage/index.html) hits a 404 file not
found error.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old June 14th 05, 02:10 PM
Robert Chung

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
How to turn an expensive power meter into a cheap altimeter:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/watt...altimeter.html

So whatever happened to the full thing?

Thanks for the heads-up. Should work now.

Old June 14th 05, 02:12 PM
Robert Chung

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:19:56 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
How to turn an expensive power meter into a cheap altimeter:
http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/watt...altimeter.html

Nice. Slightly related (2 clicks away): your rosetta page seems to be
missing.

Yeah. I migrated a portion of the site over from its old location but not
all of it. I *think* you can find it now.

Old June 15th 05, 12:16 AM
Dr. Sisyphus Frankenstein

Bob Schwartz wrote:

http://www.uwalumni.com/onwisconsin/...r/Research.pdf

A PowerTap with a GPS.

After reading the article I'm not sure I get the point. You
should be able to compute what the GPS gives you from the
PowerTap alone. Maybe it makes mapping the data easier.

Mr S,

Given that the GPS data is so explicit regarding position, and quite
accurate (15-30m), yes, everything would seem much easier. This is
especially true since Clinton turned off S/A (selective availability).
GPS RX'ers are getting quite cheap.

Yes, it can be computed. Robert said: "The next time someone asks me
how good the HAC4 could be at measuring power, I'll say it's about as
good as using a powermeter to estimate altitude gain." GPS may be
cheaper than power meters at this point. So why the power meter instead
of just a GPS? "You should be able to compute what the PowerTap gives
you from the GPS alone."

http://www.colorado.edu/geography/gc...gps/gps_f.html
Some old technical papers:
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/704.pdf
http://tf.nist.gov/timefreq/general/pdf/621.pdf
Old June 15th 05, 02:08 AM
Tony Rall

"Dr. Sisyphus Frankenstein" wrote:
So why the power meter instead
of just a GPS? "You should be able to compute what the PowerTap gives
you from the GPS alone."

I don't think the gps knows anything about your wind or rolling
resistance.

--
Tony Rall
Old June 15th 05, 02:51 AM

"Dr. Sisyphus Frankenstein" wrote:

Yes, it can be computed. Robert said: "The next time someone asks me
how good the HAC4 could be at measuring power, I'll say it's about as
good as using a powermeter to estimate altitude gain." GPS may be
cheaper than power meters at this point. So why the power meter instead
of just a GPS? "You should be able to compute what the PowerTap gives
you from the GPS alone."

The HAC4 measures altitude change with a barometer, which ought to be
much more accurate than altitude change from a GPS under typical riding
conditions - GPS is better at X,Y than elevation.

Of course, the altitude change only gives you an decent estimate of
power if you're riding up a moderately steep, long hill.

Ben
measures power with a multimeter