A Really Dumb Question Shimano 105 front der

Old July 24th 04, 08:34 PM
smyrna45

Default A Really Dumb Question Shimano 105 front der

Hi. Last night I finally acquired a new (for me) 1980's Maile with
full shimano 105 group and DT shifters for a picture of Ben Franklin
on some green paper lol. I have parked the old Huffy against the
garage wall awaiting my decision on whether to return it to the thrift
store from wence it came, or keep it as a souvenir of the 30 pounds I
lost riding it.

My question is this. The rear der shifts like a dream and is of course
indexed. The front der shifts well too, but it doesn't seem to be
indexed (no click). I know indexing is not really needed when you
only have two sprockets to choose from. Is the front shift lever
supposed to click when you change gears, like the rear one?
Old July 24th 04, 08:51 PM
Arthur Harris

"smyrna45" wrote:

My question is this. The rear der shifts like a dream and is of course
indexed. The front der shifts well too, but it doesn't seem to be
indexed (no click). I know indexing is not really needed when you
only have two sprockets to choose from. Is the front shift lever
supposed to click when you change gears, like the rear one?

What you have is normal, and is actually a good thing. By the front shifter
being non-indexed, you can "trim" the front derailleur as needed to avoid
chain rub.

Congrats on your find, and good luck with it.

Art Harris

Old July 25th 04, 02:59 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:34:13 -0400, smyrna45
wrote:

Hi. Last night I finally acquired a new (for me) 1980's Maile with
full shimano 105 group and DT shifters for a picture of Ben Franklin
on some green paper lol. I have parked the old Huffy against the
garage wall awaiting my decision on whether to return it to the thrift
store from wence it came, or keep it as a souvenir of the 30 pounds I
lost riding it.

My question is this. The rear der shifts like a dream and is of course
indexed. The front der shifts well too, but it doesn't seem to be
indexed (no click). I know indexing is not really needed when you
only have two sprockets to choose from. Is the front shift lever
supposed to click when you change gears, like the rear one?

6 speed set-up? I had that on a used a bike I bought. I'm still using
the 105 front derailleur on a bike (the rear was bent when I bought
it). Anyway, no indexing on the front. I don't know if any downtube
shifters have it; maybe the newest?

Old July 25th 04, 12:41 PM
Arthur Harris

"Dan Daniel" wrote:

Anyway, no indexing on the front. I don't know if any downtube
shifters have it; maybe the newest?

Nope. Even the Dura-Ace 9-sp DT shifters have no indexing on the front.

Art Harris

Old July 26th 04, 01:13 AM
smyrna45

wrote:

[...]

Yes. It's a 6 speed set up. I think Art Harris is right, you do use
the front der to "trim" it out. Probably one of the few ways to get
that silent riding unless the front was prefectly adjusted all the
time. Of course, I don't use the front much anyway.