polar h/r moniter battery

Old October 19th 06, 12:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Meeba

Default polar h/r moniter battery

It appears to have a flat battery,do l really need to go to "authorised
dealer " to have battery replaced or will a jeweller suffice?
any advice appreciated
thanks

--
Meeba

Old October 19th 06, 02:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Meeba wrote:
It appears to have a flat battery,do l really need to go to "authorised
dealer " to have battery replaced or will a jeweller suffice?
any advice appreciated
thanks

Is it still under warranty? If so, you might get it
replaced for free.

I replaced the battery in my polar A3 a while back and it
was pretty easy. 4 small Phillips screws in the back
exposed a huge "medical" battery. I took that to the
bookshop on campus, they had that model battery, put
it all back together and it's been fine. You need to
take care with the rubber seal - make sure it's in position
when you replace the back and keep everything clean.

The battery in the chest strap is another matter. I started
to prise the cover off mine (curiosity - must - resist -
temptation - to take it apart!) but stopped. Don't know
of anyone that's replaced that themselves. Polar have some
sort of exchange system but I've not used it.

DeF

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.
Old October 19th 06, 09:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Meeba

DeF Wrote:
Meeba wrote:
[...]

thankyou for all your replies,
l will check warranty
l,m hoping the jeweller may change it for approx cost of battery
though ,as lreally dont want to send it off.

l didnt know about the chest strap had a battery,l suppose when it goes
theres no h/r detection on the watch face ? Its good to know they are
replacable
thanks again

--
Meeba

Old October 19th 06, 11:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Meeba wrote:
It appears to have a flat battery,do l really need to go to "authorised
dealer " to have battery replaced or will a jeweller suffice?
any advice appreciated
thanks

First battery I had replaced was by the local jeweller and the watch
lost the ability to beep (and yes I do know you can turn that on and off
but it definitely didn't work). When that eventually went flat I sent it
to Pursuit Performance (the Polar repairs for Aus)and it came back with
the beep working again. So I'd say if you need it in a hurry use someone
local but if you can wait a few days send it to Pursuit perfmance.

DaveB
Old October 19th 06, 11:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

DeF wrote:
The battery in the chest strap is another matter. I started
to prise the cover off mine (curiosity - must - resist -
temptation - to take it apart!) but stopped. Don't know
of anyone that's replaced that themselves. Polar have some
sort of exchange system but I've not used it.

DeF

I've used the chest strap exchange system. Took the elastic part of the
strap off as instructed on the web site, and sent it off. 3 days later a
new one was back plus a new elastic strap (just as well because the
occasional pool session really took it out of the elastic).

DaveB
Old October 20th 06, 12:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave A

I've been having trouble with my speed sensor. I spotted pursuit
performance at the bike show last week. Snuck in the next day and
handed them the sensor. (it was stuffed).

They took it with them and I received a repaired sensor on Wednesday (I
supect they gave me a new one). I was extremely pleased with the
service from these guys.

Cheers
DaveA

Old October 20th 06, 02:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny

DeF wrote:
Meeba wrote:
[...]

I've replaced the battery in mine, both the watch unit and the chest unit (it's
a Fusion model, with user replaceable chest battery)

Get the batteries from a jeweller's supplies shop, for about 15% of what you'll
pay at the places that fit them 'free'. Often it's the same size battery as
you'll use in your LED lights & bike computer anyway, so buy 5 or 10 (they come
in packs of 5 for $4 or so).

If you are going to swim with it, then remove the tiny 'O' ring, clean
carefully, & re-lubricate it with a thin smear of silicon grease. And clean the
opposing surface that it mates with, else it'll leak, which is usually terminal.

My local jeweller supplies & fits 'free' for $10 each ...

--
Karen Gallagher

"Reverse the polarity and invert the particle flux!"
"You mean put the batteries in the other way?"
"...yes."
-Star Trek (any of them)
Old October 20th 06, 05:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RobWoozle

I sent mine to Pursuit Perf. - battery replacement didn't cost much and
they completely replaced the watch casing for free - wasn't under
warranty either.

Rob