Good LBS report - Ride Shop Canberra

Old October 11th 06, 03:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RobWoozle

Default Good LBS report - Ride Shop Canberra

Well, I finally went from SPDs to road pedals and SPD SL cleats for my
road (tri - sorry) bike.

After a few rides though my knees were sore - had never had an issue
with trusty SPDs. So, my Coach recommended a visit to "Ride Shop" in
Braddon. Since I bought the shoes there it seemed fair.

They were fabulous, looked at my whole setup, adjusted saddle, saddle
height and handlebar height too. Looked at my knees whilst I rode and
adjusted the shoes. All this whilst my kids (8 and 10) checked out
everything in the place.

Couldn't recommend these guys more highly.

Rob

Old October 11th 06, 08:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner

On 10 Oct 2006 19:14:46 -0700, RobWoozle wrote:

Well, I finally went from SPDs to road pedals and SPD SL cleats for my
road (tri - sorry) bike.

After a few rides though my knees were sore - had never had an issue
with trusty SPDs. So, my Coach recommended a visit to "Ride Shop" in
Braddon. Since I bought the shoes there it seemed fair.

They were fabulous, looked at my whole setup, adjusted saddle, saddle
height and handlebar height too. Looked at my knees whilst I rode and
adjusted the shoes. All this whilst my kids (8 and 10) checked out
everything in the place.

So what adjustments did they make to your saddle and cleats?
Are they the floating (yellow) or fixed (red) ones? I didn't have any knee
problems when I made the same change (to floating cleats), but it would
probably be helpful for others if you could give some details.

Hope you're finding it worthwhile - IMHO they're much more secure and
stable, especially when standing and sprinting. I've found them most
comfortable angled slightly to let my feet splay out, and placed to
put the pedal axle 5-10mm behind the ball of my foot. I dropped my
saddle about 5mm, too.

Assuming you always put the same foot down when you stop, you'll get
more life out of the cleats if you swap them after a couple of months to
distribute the wear, but once you've worn through either of the coloured
pegs you're wearing the cleat itself, and you should replace them. I'm
about to get a set of covers to try to reduce walking wear on them.

And remember to replace the plastic insert in the top of each pedal when
your shoe becomes noticeably loose vertically in the pedal, too. You should
have got a spare set with the pedals.

Old October 11th 06, 11:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RobWoozle

Michael Warner wrote:

So what adjustments did they make to your saddle and cleats?
Are they the floating (yellow) or fixed (red) ones? I didn't have any knee
problems when I made the same change (to floating cleats), but it would
probably be helpful for others if you could give some details.

OK, here we go. The cleats are the floating (yellow) ones. The shoes
are Louis Garneau ergo air (not the carbon ones). The problem was that
after a couple of weeks with them the top of my tibia was pretty
tender.

What they did was:
-move my cleats back a bit
-angle the cleats to allow for the natural position of the foot (I had
them dead straight and my feet aren't like that!)
-raised my seat slightly
-moved my seat back a little
-small raise of the handlebars

All of this gave a pretty instant result. I was much more comfortable.
I have a decent length ride on Sat morning so I will report back then

Thanks for the feedback!
Rob

Old October 11th 06, 04:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner

On 11 Oct 2006 03:38:03 -0700, RobWoozle wrote:

-raised my seat slightly
-moved my seat back a little

Here's a list of pedal/cleat stack heights I found (no
idea whether it's accurate):

Here's a list with distance spindle center to bottom shoe:
Campagnolo - 20mm
Look - 22mm
Miche - 20mm
Ritchey - 12mm
Shimano SPD - 16mm
Shimano SPD-R Ultegra & 105 - 14mm
Shimano SPD-R Dura Ace - 12mm
Shimano SPD-SL Ultegra - 16mm
Shimano SPD-SL Dura Ace - 14mm
Speedplay - 13mm
Time Equipe Pro - 12mm
Time Impact - 11mm

So if you moved to the Ultegra pedals, that doesn't account
for the need to raise or lower the saddle, but a change in shoe sole
thickness might.

Old October 13th 06, 02:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Adam F

Hmm I'm aware of Lonsdale St Cyclery and the Bike Warehouse, where is the
Ride Shop? Yellow Pages does not help....

//Adam F

ups.com...

Old October 13th 06, 10:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jcjordan

Adam F Wrote:
Hmm I'm aware of Lonsdale St Cyclery and the Bike Warehouse, where is
the
Ride Shop? Yellow Pages does not help....

//Adam F
"
[/color]

They are on Lonsdale St in Civic. They have a small frontage, but they

the website is www.rideshop.com.au and they have a map page.

One bit of trivia. Dean Rodger's yonger brother rides for T-Mobile

--
jcjordan

Old October 17th 06, 02:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 22:55:52 +1000, Adam F wrote:

Wow Lonsdale St is getting crowded

A website which collected experiences with bike shops around the
country would be pretty useful. Has anyone ever tried to start one?
A wiki page would do the job, although it'd be open to vandalism.

Old October 17th 06, 03:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Rayc

Michael Warner wrote:

Here's a list of pedal/cleat stack heights I found (no
idea whether it's accurate):

So if you moved to the Ultegra pedals, that doesn't account
for the need to raise or lower the saddle, but a change in shoe sole
thickness might.

maybe they moved the saddle to get the OP into closer to ideal seat
height? That is assuming the OP had the 'correct' seat height in the
first place.

whatever the reason, the bike feels 'better' and the OP can feel more
comfortable and able to supply horsepower to the peals

Old October 18th 06, 03:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RobWoozle

Directly across the road from Lonsdale St Cyclery....

Also there is Bike Shed which is up the road a bit on the same side as
Ride Shop.

Mal Adjusted is in Dickson.

THese are the main ones I frequent ;-)

Rob
Adam F wrote:
Hmm I'm aware of Lonsdale St Cyclery and the Bike Warehouse, where is the
Ride Shop? Yellow Pages does not help....

//Adam F

ups.com...