Er? Anyone here from Canberra?

Old October 17th 06, 02:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
scotty72

Default Er? Anyone here from Canberra?

cfsmtb Wrote:
Curious to realise that Peter Shmigel, the Liberal candidate for
Balmain, is interested in cyclists opinions in order to formulate the
NSW Liberals cycling policy, refer here to a Survey Monkey poll that
apparently ended on September 29th:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=427942371239

I sent a quick email to John Hargreaves in the ACT govt.

I'm sure that he wont mind me sharing his response with this forum -
as I think his attitude is wonderful.

A good, strong statement - don't know the man or his politics but, I
wish I could vote for him.

SCotty

Old October 17th 06, 11:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

scotty72 wrote:
cfsmtb Wrote:
Curious to realise that Peter Shmigel, the Liberal candidate for
Balmain, is interested in cyclists opinions in order to formulate the
NSW Liberals cycling policy, refer here to a Survey Monkey poll that
apparently ended on September 29th:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=427942371239

I sent a quick email to John Hargreaves in the ACT govt.

I'm sure that he wont mind me sharing his response with this forum -
as I think his attitude is wonderful.

A good, strong statement - don't know the man or his politics but, I
wish I could vote for him.

SCotty

Scotty,

Thanks for making the effort. I received a similar reply from John (and
yes I do vote for him). Methinks that he has replied to a lot of similar
public concern over the past week ;-)

I received a "thank you for your input" from the leader of the
opposition and a half baked rebuttal from another Liberal member of the
Assembly. As another "dissenting member" of the NRMA I have received no
reply to the mail I sent to the directors. Don't worry, I'll be
scrutinising my ballot carefully next NRMA election.

Some drivers want the cycle lanes on roads such as Northbourne,
Commonwealth Av, Adelaide Av removed. They don't realise that Pandora's
Box has been opened, and all it would do is move cyclists into the left
hand car lane. In which case we will go back to riding two abreast to
ensure that drivers with poor judgement do not put the squeeze on us.
There are so many on-road cyclists now that drivers just need to learn
to adapt to these changed conditions. Of course as a cyclist I still
have to keep a good eye out for my own safety.

Patrick
Old October 18th 06, 01:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Patrick Keogh wrote:
I received a "thank you for your input" from the leader of the
opposition and a half baked rebuttal from another Liberal member of the
Assembly.

Oooh! Please share the half-baked rebuttal (strip the identifying bits
off it first if you like). ;-)

BTH
(Canberra resident again as of 16/12/2006)

Old October 18th 06, 01:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

BT Humble wrote:

Oooh! Please share the half-baked rebuttal (strip the identifying bits
off it first if you like). ;-)

OK, but only because you asked so nicely...

Dear Mr Keogh

Thank you for your email about on-road cycling.

I understand the enthusiasm that many Canberrans have for cycling as a
recreation and for its health benefits.

The Canberra Liberals have some reservations about the safety of on-road
cycle paths which we believe we should pursue. Our concerns are about
slower and vulnerable cycles are in such close proximity to cars and
there are real issues with turning and merging. Our on-going concerns
have been highlighted by the recently published NRMA Report.

At the last election the Canberra Liberals had the following position on
on-road cycling:
Cycling and walking

• Review use, design and cost-effectiveness of on-road bicycle paths
prior to further extending the network;
This position still stands. There is no formal party position to rip up
cycle paths but we do not believe that should be extended until the
safety issues can be worked out. As I have now returned to the job of
being the Shadow Minister for Transport I will be looking at the issues
of safety both here and overseas.

I enclose, for your information, a copy of the Transport Policy we took
to the last election.

Thank you for writing to me on this important issue and I hope that we
can work together to, as you say, tweak the current network.
Old October 18th 06, 06:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Patrick Keogh wrote:
BT Humble wrote:

Oooh! Please share the half-baked rebuttal (strip the identifying bits
off it first if you like). ;-)

OK, but only because you asked so nicely...

Dear Mr Keogh
I enclose, for your information, a copy of the Transport Policy we took
to the last election.

Thank you for writing to me on this important issue and I hope that we
can work together to, as you say, tweak the current network.

Perhaps you should ask him how his party fared in the last election?
;-)

BTH

Old October 18th 06, 02:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
HughMann

Patrick Keogh Wrote:

OK, but only because you asked so nicely...

Dear Mr Keogh

Thank you for your email about on-road cycling.

I understand the enthusiasm that many Canberrans have for cycling as a
recreation and for its health benefits.

The Canberra Liberals have some reservations about the safety of
on-road
cycle paths which we believe we should pursue.

SNIP

Its nice that Mr Canberra Liberals thinks that people cycle for
recreation or health.
There are many people who cycle because they can not afford any other
means of transport. They can not afford the rent on places that are
close to public transport so they are FORCED to use a bike, or walk.
They do not choose to cycle, its a necessity of life. Was recently in
Canberra and I would say that poverty/ low income was rife in Canberra.
Saw bikes decked out with numerous full green shopping bags being pushed
along a couple of times.

Other people choose to cycle because they choose to leave the car at
home and ride to work or whatever. I suppose that Mr Canberra Liberals
hasnt heard of global warming, greenhouse gasses or Co2 or any other of
those left wing ABC bias plots.

Makes me a bit mad when people in positions of privilege tell us
whats good for us.

Only suppose that Mr Canberra Liberals has a tax payer funded car.

Cheers

Hugh

--
HughMann

Old October 18th 06, 03:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

HughMann Wrote:

Makes me a bit mad when people in positions of privilege tell us
whats good for us.

Only suppose that Mr Canberra Liberals has a tax payer funded car.

Careful comrade, that's crazy talk! Anymore of that and a.b will have
to have a ABC-style "opinions" warning on each post to filter out the
vile lefty groupthink that's poisoning this great nation, er, um
newsgroup.

Hang on, salination, global warming and drought has sweet frig all to
do with whatever political party is holding office. How naive of me.
Sorry. Types in the word bicycle to remain within editorial policy.

--
cfsmtb

Er? Anyone here from Canberra? Patrick Keogh Australia 0 October 15th 06 03:34 AM
RR (Kind-of): Canberra Half Ironman MikeyOz Australia 9 December 12th 05 11:37 AM
Update on Dahon Boardwalk 6, 20" folder in Canberra Tom Worthington Techniques 0 February 20th 05 10:59 PM
Live in Canberra? cfsmtb Australia 0 January 12th 05 11:00 AM
Bike hire in Canberra Joseph Australia 3 March 24th 04 11:58 AM