NEWS UPDATE.. Thong man found dead after a fall.

Old June 24th 03, 04:39 PM
Reco Diver

Default NEWS UPDATE.. Thong man found dead after a fall.

"Danny" wrote in message ...
I cut this from the houston chronicle web site just a few minutes ago...

June 23, 2003, 3:53PM

Man known for biking in thong found dead
Associated Press

BIG BEND NATIONAL PARK - A man who drew attention for wearing only a thong
while riding his bicycle in San Antonio has been found dead in a park,
authorities said today.

The nude body of Joseph Gottschalk, 52, of San Antonio was discovered
Saturday afternoon by some visitors at Big Bend National Park, park
spokesman David Elkowitz said.

Family members confirmed the person who died was Gottschalk, the man who
drew attention for bicycling through a city park wearing only a thong,
according to Elkowitz.

The body was discovered about 100 feet below the south rim, on a ledge,
Elkowitz said.

Gottschalk died as the result of a fall.

Justice of the Peace Shirley Williams told The Associated Press that autopsy
results are pending.

The National Park Service is investigating, Elkowitz said.

Being the pessimist that I am, and after having lived in Texas for quite a
few years... I have a bad feeling in my gut about this one... I hope that
I'm wrong.

Danny

Just the facts:

Big Bend National Park (TX)
Falling Fatality

Joseph H. Gottschalk, 52, of San Antonio, Texas, died in a hundred
foot fall from the South Rim trail in the Chisos Mountains on June
21st. Gottschalk arrived in the park the day before and stopped at the
visitor center to ask about hiking to the South Rim. Visitors to the
South Rim found items near the rim’s edge belonging to the
victim on the 21st, then discovered his body about 100 feet below the
rim’s edge. They hiked down late that evening and reported the
death. An investigative team hiked to the scene early on the morning
of June 22nd and confirmed Gottschalk’s death. A recovery team
comprised of staff from all park divisions recovered the body.

[Submitted by David Elkowitz, PIO]

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/morningreport/

BTW all deaths in park are treated as homicides until proven otherwise
.... must be all that FLETC time.

(still reading the morning report ... after all these years)
Old June 26th 03, 11:29 AM
Trentus

"Reco Diver" wrote in message
m...