Watch out for road cracks!

Old October 7th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

Default Watch out for road cracks!

Yet one more reminder to watch out for road cracks and uneven surface
between lanes. This is from the sweep on the club ride I was on yesterday.
"I was sweeping the ride, when Pat had a flat, I tried to catch up to the
front group to let them know. When I crossed the white line (between the
shoulder and car lanes) to pass the group, my wheel got caught in a crack
and I came down hard on my left side elbow first. There was no swelling or
much pain, I completed the ride staying with Bev. But I noticed decreasing
mobility and increasing discomfort in the arm over time, this morning I went
to the ER and was diagnosed with a radial head midline fracture. They put
me in a sling and gave me the name of an ortho guy for follow up, the
assumption is that it should heal on its own over several weeks. Meanwhile,
restrict mobility and no weight bearing."

Old October 7th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Oct 8, 6:07 am, "Mike Kruger" wrote:
Yet one more reminder to watch out for road cracks and uneven surface
between lanes. This is from the sweep on the club ride I was on yesterday.
"I was sweeping the ride, when Pat had a flat, I tried to catch up to the
front group to let them know. When I crossed the white line (between the
shoulder and car lanes) to pass the group, my wheel got caught in a crack
and I came down hard on my left side elbow first. There was no swelling or
much pain, I completed the ride staying with Bev. But I noticed decreasing
mobility and increasing discomfort in the arm over time, this morning I went
to the ER and was diagnosed with a radial head midline fracture. They put
me in a sling and gave me the name of an ortho guy for follow up, the
assumption is that it should heal on its own over several weeks. Meanwhile,
restrict mobility and no weight bearing."

I thought this was going to be about well-worn lycra shorts. Get
well ;-)

Old October 8th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®

"Mike Kruger" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

One big reason I try not to ride at night any more. Can't see as well as in
day time.

Old October 9th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Bill Sornson wrote:
Mike Kruger wrote:
Yet one more reminder to watch out for road cracks and uneven surface
between lanes. This is from the sweep on the club ride I was on
yesterday. "I was sweeping the ride, when Pat had a flat, I tried to
catch up to the front group to let them know. When I crossed the
white line (between the shoulder and car lanes) to pass the group, my
wheel got caught in a crack and I came down hard on my left side
elbow first. There was no swelling or much pain, I completed the
ride staying with Bev. But I noticed decreasing mobility and
increasing discomfort in the arm over time, this morning I went to
the ER and was diagnosed with a radial head midline fracture. They
put me in a sling and gave me the name of an ortho guy for follow up,
the assumption is that it should heal on its own over several weeks.
Meanwhile, restrict mobility and no weight bearing."

Damn. That fast. Boom. Ouch.

I was next to someone who ate it on a turn like that. She went down
super fast. She was a tad concussed but otherwise okay. Her front
wheel looked like an explosion in a generator factory.

--
Dane Buson -
"He's dead, Jim. You grab his wallet,
Old October 9th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

Bill Sornson wrote:
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® wrote:
[...]

Huh? This was in day time. Wasn't it?

Yes, Rebecca's accident occurred in broad daylight. But I know what
Bellsouth means. When I'm riding in the dark, I favor wider tires and more
flat-resistant designs. There's lots of stuff to look for, and it's harder
to see glass on the road or whether the cracks are deep.

Old October 9th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Mike Kruger wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
[...]

I've yet to do a night road ride, but want to some day just to see what
it's like. (I have ridden home from some night mountain bike rides on the
road, but fairly short distances.) One thing's for su I'd do it on a
route I know very well.

Bill "blinkies" S.

Try it. For me, it's anxiety-causing. Although, one thing I have to say
about night riding is that you do (or at least I do) focus only on the road
in front of you, which is a good thing. It's not like you can get
distracted by the scenery, a hot chick, or a funny-looking dog. But IME
reduced visibility really makes it more dangerous to a point where it is not
just rewarding to ride. To each his own and his comfort level.

Old October 11th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David Horwitt

Bill Sornson wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

Bill Sornson wrote:

I was next to someone who ate it on a turn like that. She went down
super fast. She was a tad concussed but otherwise okay. Her front
wheel looked like an explosion in a generator factory.

Hate to say it but that's exactly why I wear a helmet. Catch the front
wheel or lose the front tire, and WHAM. Why crack open your skull
unnecessarily?

Bill "easier to live with a broken elbow" S.

Oh, great, now you've turned it into another elbow pad debate!

DH
Old October 11th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mark[_4_]

Mike Kruger wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® wrote:
"Mike Kruger" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Agreed there are places I would ride with no hesitation at night. On
some night the scenery is stunning and if the moon is full you may not
even need a headlight to see what is ahead. Other places I wouldn't
even think of it. I found it interesting the Schwinn when I bought my
bike basically said in the owners manual don't ride at night or in the
wet. Ive done both many many times and likely will again lol

Old October 11th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

Mark wrote:

Agreed there are places I would ride with no hesitation at night. On
some night the scenery is stunning and if the moon is full you may not
even need a headlight to see what is ahead. Other places I wouldn't
even think of it. I found it interesting the Schwinn when I bought my
bike basically said in the owners manual don't ride at night or in the
wet. Ive done both many many times and likely will again lol

In the south US, riding at night or at dusk can be a nice alternative to
riding in the blazing hot sun. I don't ride where I am not very
familiar with the road. I also ride in the city and use my lights
almost always in blinkie mode. Usually, there's enough illumination
from streetlights and such.

Watch Out! Watch Out! There's a prolific bike thief about ... elyob UK 0 September 19th 07 03:02 PM
UCI Road Race World Championships - Watch The LIVE Webcast September 20-24 Joe King Racing 0 September 16th 06 11:15 PM
Ultegra Road triple crank cracks due to fatigue. [email protected] Techniques 21 July 24th 06 05:40 AM
Cracks?! John Thompson Techniques 24 January 19th 06 06:11 AM
Home Boy Cracks Top Ten!!! Joe Go Racing 1 November 6th 05 07:24 AM