Ultrasonic cleaning

Old January 22nd 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bert

Default Ultrasonic cleaning

Does anyone have experience with ultrasonic cleaning of bike parts like
chains? Is my chain really clean afterwards, i.e inside the links? Is
ultrasonic cleaning a good prevention from chain wear (attrition of the
bushings) and does it increase the life expectancy of the chain?

Lots of question but any response, reaction or answer is appreciatiated

many thanks

B.ert

--
__o
_`\,_

Old January 22nd 10, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 22 Jan, 13:00, "Bert" wrote:
Does anyone have experience with ultrasonic cleaning of bike parts like
chains? Is my chain really clean afterwards, i.e inside the links?

Do you mean, "will I remove all the oil?"

Is
ultrasonic cleaning a good prevention from chain wear (attrition of the
bushings) and does it increase the life expectancy of the chain?

Lots of question but any response, reaction or answer is appreciatiated

many thanks

B.ert

--
* * *__o
* *_`\,_
* (*)/ (*)
-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Old January 22nd 10, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bert

"thirty-six" schreef in bericht
On 22 Jan, 13:00, "Bert" wrote:
Does anyone have experience with ultrasonic cleaning of bike parts like
chains? Is my chain really clean afterwards, i.e inside the links?

Do you mean, "will I remove all the oil?"

I mean "will it remove all dirt, sand and stone"

Old January 22nd 10, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 22 Jan, 14:16, "Bert" wrote:
"thirty-six" schreef in ...
On 22 Jan, 13:00, "Bert" wrote:

Does anyone have experience with ultrasonic cleaning of bike parts like
chains? Is my chain really clean afterwards, i.e inside the links?

Do you mean, "will I remove all the oil?"

I mean "will it remove all dirt, sand and stone"

Is this for display purposes?
Old January 22nd 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 22, 8:16*am, "Bert" wrote:
"thirty-six" schreef in ...
On 22 Jan, 13:00, "Bert" wrote:

Does anyone have experience with ultrasonic cleaning of bike parts like
chains? Is my chain really clean afterwards, i.e inside the links?

Do you mean, "will I remove all the oil?"

I mean "will it remove all dirt, sand and stone"

Yeah, and a ride around the block will do a great job putting the
schmutz back.
Old January 22nd 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

TRY A RAG. first yiu rag, then place chain with erd rollers pinned
with paper clips wires into jug flled with thinner.
shake. pulll chain out with needle nose pliers holding used (or new)
newspaper under to catch drips. allow cahin to dry on paper.
recap bottle and set back into garage corner for reuse.

plave rag in ultrasonic bath. boil ten minutes. place rag on rag
line. throw ultrasonic equipment in garbage.
Old January 22nd 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

You guys aren't being very helpful.

I've tried an ultrasonic cleaner on the chain. The chain is pretty
heavy and large. The solvent gets really dirty quickly. I couldn't
tell if I was accomplishing anything, so I went back to soaking in a
jar of naptha.

I've seen claim that ultrasonic cleaners cause "hydrogen
embrittlement" of alloy parts, but I've no idea how serious a concern
that is.
Old January 22nd 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
tonski

On Jan 22, 8:50*am, JG wrote:
You guys aren't being very helpful.

I've tried an ultrasonic cleaner on the chain. *The chain is pretty
heavy and large. *The solvent gets really dirty quickly. *I couldn't
tell if I was accomplishing anything, so I went back to soaking in a
jar of naptha.

I've seen claim that ultrasonic cleaners cause "hydrogen
embrittlement" of alloy parts, but I've no idea how serious a concern
that is.

I've been using an ultra-sonic for a year. If your solvent isn't
getting dirty then nothing is being removed and most of the debris
floats..not sure why grime not on the chain would throw up a red flag
for how well the ultra-sonic is working? I haven't had an issue with
part durability but I mostly use it on the cogs and only clean as long
as it takes me to clean and re-grease the bearings in the wheels. I
have used it on chains with no ill-effects but once my chain is
stretched it gets replaced.
Old January 22nd 10, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raging raven

On Jan 22, 10:17*am, tonski wrote:
On Jan 22, 8:50*am, JG wrote:

[...]

I have used an ultrasonic cleaner on all kinds of bicycle parts over
the years without issue, including chains. I have even used the same
ultrasonic cleaner to lubricate the cleaned chain by using white
lightning as the fluid in the ultrasonic bath. Can't say the chains
last any longer or not, but its a fast way to clean with water based
solvents. Found the cleaner at a thrift store for cheap years ago;
otherwise I would be using the soda bottle-and-solvent bar tender
shaking method.

Old January 22nd 10, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 22 Jan, 16:50, JG wrote:
You guys aren't being very helpful.

I've tried an ultrasonic cleaner on the chain. *The chain is pretty
heavy and large. *The solvent gets really dirty quickly. *I couldn't
tell if I was accomplishing anything, so I went back to soaking in a
jar of naptha.

Which also over-strips the oil from the chain. The recommendation
from chain manufacturers backs up the age old cyclist's method of
using paraffin oil (kerosene) or diesel fuel. It dissolves the
thickened oil allowing the thickener in the grease (metallic soap) to
wash out with the dirt.

I've seen claim that ultrasonic cleaners cause "hydrogen
embrittlement" of alloy parts, but I've no idea how serious a concern
that is.

Hydrgen embrittlement does affect steel chains, but I forget the
claimed cause. It may have been covered in the Wippermann main
catalogue. Cant remember anything about ultrasonic cleaners.

ultrasonic cleaners Rex Australia 14 November 26th 07 04:52 AM
has anyone used an ultrasonic device on dogs? Pat in TX General 0 October 6th 06 03:49 PM
Is it worth buying a cheap ultrasonic cleaner Mike DeMicco Techniques 24 June 13th 06 03:30 PM
Ultrasonic parts cleaners Dan Burkhart Techniques 8 November 28th 04 03:03 PM
Ultrasonic parts cleaners Dan Burkhart Techniques 0 November 28th 04 03:01 PM