Unicon 14 Countdown!

Old July 24th 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
keg

Default Unicon 14 Countdown!

annaats wrote:
I'm just packing! I've just realised I don't have ny scales... Any
suggestions of how to approximate 20kgs? I've got a freestyle with me
(6.5kg ish), and loads of clothes and random stuff and I'm using a
bigger bag than usual which could be dangerous... Any suggestions?

See you all soon!

Buy 20 bags of sugar for comparison?

Being practical I borrowed my neighbours scales, alternatively some
kitchen scales will quickly let you get an idea of the weight of your
t-shirts etc.

Don't forget Sterling gives you a reasonable hand luggage allowance of
10kg. Therefore you can bring 30kg total. Currently I'm struggling to
get the kids hand luggage heavy enough due to the bulky, but light,
cycling helmets.

Finally for RTL I knew I was over the limit so checked-in wearing all
my t-shirts in case they weighed my hand luggage (they wanted to charge
£10/kg over).

Keith

--
keg
Old July 24th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

keg wrote:
Buy 20 bags of sugar for comparison?

Being practical I borrowed my neighbours scales, alternatively some
kitchen scales will quickly let you get an idea of the weight of your
t-shirts etc.

Don't forget Sterling gives you a reasonable hand luggage allowance of
10kg. Therefore you can bring 30kg total. Currently I'm struggling to
get the kids hand luggage heavy enough due to the bulky, but light,
cycling helmets.

Finally for RTL I knew I was over the limit so checked-in wearing all
my t-shirts in case they weighed my hand luggage (they wanted to charge
£10/kg over).

Keith

Beware of Scandinavian airlines. I've been flying almost every week for
the past two months with one bag at exactly 20 KG, another one at about
9 KG for carry on and my backpack at about the same.

Purses are supposed to be free of charge and not weighed on most
airlines and most will let you take a backpack instead of a purse as
long as it fits under the seat. I've been able to get about 40 kg out
of this situation since they never weigh the backpack and only twice
now have they weighed the other carry on.

Scandinavian however weighed everything, and they charge much more than
anyone else I know of (most charge 20 dollars per KG over which is a lot
but its what I expected) Scandinavian wants 30 EUROS! per KG. I ended up
paying over 240 Euros in fees to get to Copenhagen, for that price I
could have fedexed all of my luggage straight to the hotel, but I was
running late for my flight so I had no choice!

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old July 25th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
muzzle

Tea, NZUni is in Hong Kong airport, half way through our journey to
london, which will eventually get us to copenhaagen for unicon. so far
so good, see you all soon!

--
muzzle

my videos: 'muzzle!videos' (http://www.muzzle.co.nr/unicycle/)
Old July 25th 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycledood

*Jelousy meter rising*

--
unicycledood

The.Mars.Volta wrote:
haha, so young, yet so angry, damn that rap music.

Old July 25th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
annaats

ntappin wrote:
[...]

Does that mean that you can have two carry on bags? Or is the case of a
large one and a small hand bag/purse sort of thing? Can't believe that
it's so expensive to go overweight! Are those the prices for
Scandanavia airline specifically, or all scandanavian airlines in
general (inlcuding sterling)? If I'm over I'l be taking my sleeping bag
out and attaching it to my backpack if they let me, I just hope my
scales aren't too innaccurate!

Also, any suggestions what to put on the luggage lables?

--
annaats

Anna.
Southampton Unicycle Hockey Club - Sundays at 4!

It will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.
Be who you are and say what you feel, as those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind.
Old July 25th 08, 09:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Those prices are specific, I tried to argue that since they were star
alliance they should all be the same price but apparently star alliance
has nothing to do with those policies.

What really drives me nuts is the fact that I'm a pretty skinny guy and
I'm not allowed to carry on a few extra pounds while people who weigh
three times as much as I do get special treatment.

What is the difference honestly between something I am carrying on me
and something that is a part of me.

And please don't argue that they can't remove obesity because you can,
yes its either difficult or expensive but in many situations so can
reducing the weight of your luggage.

If I start an airline I will have an overall limit per person, where
both the person and their luggage stands on the scales.

Old July 25th 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
keg

Hi Anna,

All airlines are different, however for Sterling your allowed one piece
of hand luggage.

Also worse case,it seems, for Sterling you can buy another 20kg
allowance for £11 each way. http://tinyurl.com/6nzf93

Personally inside the cases I have my full home address & Unicon
address. On the outside I've written the Unicon's web address &
Copenhagen.

--
keg
Old July 25th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
annaats

ntappin wrote:

If I start an airline I will have an overall limit per person, where
both the person and their luggage stands on the scales.

I'm with you on that idea! I'd be able to take alot more than I could
possibly carry with that system!

keg wrote:
Hi Anna,

All airlines are different, however for Sterling your allowed one piece
of hand luggage.

Also worse case,it seems, for Sterling you can buy another 20kg
allowance for £11 each way. http://tinyurl.com/6nzf93

Personally inside the cases I have my full home address & Unicon
address. On the outside I've written the Unicon's web address &
Copenhagen.

Thanks Keith. I might try and buy better luggage labels at the airport,
my revision cards with string seem a bit too temporary! See you at the
airport!

Old July 25th 08, 11:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Anna, we contacted scandinavian airlines in advance and they have let us
book on an extra 'piece of sports equiptment' weighing about 8kg for 30
euros each way. It might still be worth a try.

--
cathwood

Cathy
Old July 25th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nickjb

For 8kg you should get away with 'small' sports equipment which is 15
euro each way.

For hand luggage most UK airports will only let you through security
with one piece of hand luggage. You can put one bag inside another and
this rule has been relaxed at a few airports so you should be OK

--
nickjb

*Severn Wheelers.* Bristol's best (and only) unicycle hockey club
Wednesdays, 8:30. All welcome

Unicon 14 Countdown! joe Unicycling 0 July 19th 08 02:15 PM
Unicon 14 Countdown! kristian Unicycling 0 July 17th 08 08:30 PM
Unicon 14 Countdown! ntappin Unicycling 0 July 11th 08 04:13 AM
Unicon 14 Countdown! joe Unicycling 0 July 10th 08 10:36 PM
Unicon 14 Countdown! pedrotejada Unicycling 3 July 9th 08 10:26 AM