Weird Instability Problem When Putting The Power Down...

Old August 5th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

Default Weird Instability Problem When Putting The Power Down...

in message . com,
Christopher Harrison ') wrote:

Many thanks again, guys, for all your suggestions... I've given my
bike a good, thorough looking-over today and what I found was that all
tubes and stays are straight and uncracked, as are the forks; and no
joints are compromised. As far as I can tell, the frame is in good
condition and in proper alignment.
What I did notice, however, was that when I rotated the headset, a
"clicky" noise emanated from the head tube. It moved freely, but you
could tell that there was something amiss... So I took the headset
apart as much as I dared/could [my mechanical skills are limited!] and
cleaned-up what I could see and got some oil in there. When I put it
back together, the headset moved more freely, but the clicky noise
turned into a consistent, and rather unpleasant, grinding sound.

You may have heard about the excessive-flooding in England, just
recently, on the news. I live in the affected region and, whilst my
bike wasn't directly involved, it's taken-on a lot more water and dirt
than usual just lately -- and I haven't been able to clean it (until
today)... As such, my best guess would be that perhaps the bearings in
the headset have become compromised (that is, water-logged!).
Would anyone concur: i.e. Given that, despite my lack of experience,
the frame looks fine to me and the horrible noise coming from the head
tube, would that be enough to cause this lurching problem?

Completely collapsed balls in the headset /might/ cause your problem, but
I'd seriously advise getting someone experienced to give it a good look
over. A new headset won't cost much, but some of the other things it could
be are dangerous.

[ This .sig intentionally left blank ]

Old August 6th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Booker C. Bense[_59_]

In article . com,
Christopher Harrison wrote:
Many thanks again, guys, for all your suggestions... I've given my
bike a good, thorough looking-over today and what I found was that all
tubes and stays are straight and uncracked, as are the forks; and no
joints are compromised. As far as I can tell, the frame is in good
condition and in proper alignment.
What I did notice, however, was that when I rotated the headset, a
"clicky" noise emanated from the head tube. It moved freely, but you
could tell that there was something amiss... So I took the headset
apart as much as I dared/could [my mechanical skills are limited!] and
cleaned-up what I could see and got some oil in there. When I put it
back together, the headset moved more freely, but the clicky noise
turned into a consistent, and rather unpleasant, grinding sound.

You want grease in a headset, and lot's of it. However, even the
slightest binding can cause very wierd handling.

_ Booker C. Bense
Old August 7th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sergio

On 6 Ago, 18:55, Booker C. Bense You want grease in a headset, and
lot's of it. However, even the
slightest binding can cause very wierd handling.

After reading all this, without placing any money on the initial
issue, I would urge Christopher to have someone adjust the headset, as
finely as needed with the proper tools.

Should the handling problem persist, I would take the bike to a
frambuilder's to have it professionally checked.

Sergio
Pisa

Old August 8th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"sergio" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 6 Ago, 18:55, Booker C. Bense You want grease in a headset, and
lot's of it. However, even the
slightest binding can cause very wierd handling.

After reading all this, without placing any money on the initial
issue, I would urge Christopher to have someone adjust the headset, as
finely as needed with the proper tools.

Should the handling problem persist, I would take the bike to a
frambuilder's to have it professionally checked.

Sergio - he already identified the problem as a notched headset. Between
that and a too-tight adjustment you can have some pretty strange handling
problems.

Note that GREASE isn't the answer - he needs a new headset and preferably a
roller bearing version which lasts forever and more.

Old August 10th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Christopher Harrison

Hello

I got my bike back from its service yesterday -- the headset was
replaced -- and have just taken it for a good ride... It's fixed!
Yay

Thanks again to everyone for helping me pin-point the problem. It's
most appreciated

Old August 10th 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Christopher Harrison" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello

I got my bike back from its service yesterday -- the headset was
replaced -- and have just taken it for a good ride... It's fixed!
Yay

Thanks again to everyone for helping me pin-point the problem. It's
most appreciated

As a note - that didn't happen because you were in a fall. The headset had
to be bad for a long time to get to that point.

weird bb problem? Nate Knutson Techniques 5 August 1st 06 07:58 AM
Weird Problem iridemymuni Unicycling 8 July 26th 06 09:17 AM
Vetta 100HR sudden and weird problem C A III A Techniques 2 May 29th 06 04:22 AM
weird steering problem ellis Mountain Biking 5 July 6th 05 05:57 AM
weird steering problem ellis Techniques 5 July 6th 05 05:57 AM