A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Road tires versus mtb tires



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 7th 20, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?

Andy
  #2  
Old April 7th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,538
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On 4/6/2020 7:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?


Probably not, especially if you're running full knobbies, with big
separate blocks of rubber contacting the road. But if you go to a smooth
tire, the bike will roll so much better it will easily be worth it.

Unless, that is, you're the kind of guy who values the pennies spent per
mile more than anything else.

I'd recommend slick road tires, i.e. no tread at all. I made the same
recommendation to a neighbor who was getting ready for his first 50 mile
event, and he was very grateful.

What kind of tires are you using now?

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #3  
Old April 7th 20, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 7:05:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/6/2020 7:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?


Probably not, especially if you're running full knobbies, with big
separate blocks of rubber contacting the road. But if you go to a smooth
tire, the bike will roll so much better it will easily be worth it.

Unless, that is, you're the kind of guy who values the pennies spent per
mile more than anything else.

I'd recommend slick road tires, i.e. no tread at all. I made the same
recommendation to a neighbor who was getting ready for his first 50 mile
event, and he was very grateful.

What kind of tires are you using now?

--
- Frank Krygowski


I am using Seyoun NJK tires.

Andy
  #4  
Old April 7th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 884
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 7:17:26 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 7:05:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/6/2020 7:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?


Probably not, especially if you're running full knobbies, with big
separate blocks of rubber contacting the road. But if you go to a smooth
tire, the bike will roll so much better it will easily be worth it.

Unless, that is, you're the kind of guy who values the pennies spent per
mile more than anything else.

I'd recommend slick road tires, i.e. no tread at all. I made the same
recommendation to a neighbor who was getting ready for his first 50 mile
event, and he was very grateful.

What kind of tires are you using now?

--
- Frank Krygowski


I am using Seyoun NJK tires.

Andy


If you're commuting or riding almost entirely on hard surfaces, road tires will far outlast knobbies which normally have a pretty thin casing between the knobs.
  #5  
Old April 8th 20, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 115
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 10:34:56 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 7:17:26 AM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2020 at 7:05:14 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/6/2020 7:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?

Probably not, especially if you're running full knobbies, with big
separate blocks of rubber contacting the road. But if you go to a smooth
tire, the bike will roll so much better it will easily be worth it.

Unless, that is, you're the kind of guy who values the pennies spent per
mile more than anything else.

I'd recommend slick road tires, i.e. no tread at all. I made the same
recommendation to a neighbor who was getting ready for his first 50 mile
event, and he was very grateful.

What kind of tires are you using now?

--
- Frank Krygowski


I am using Seyoun NJK tires.

Andy


If you're commuting or riding almost entirely on hard surfaces, road tires will far outlast knobbies which normally have a pretty thin casing between the knobs.


Thanks to all for the feedback.

Andy
  #6  
Old April 7th 20, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,131
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 16:17:49 -0700, Andy wrote:

I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some
road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?


In general; yes.
The devil is in the details of the actual tyres and surfaces you ride.
  #7  
Old April 7th 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,447
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On 4/6/2020 6:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?

Andy


Probably more but in my experience worn-through-tread is a
failure mostly found on children's CB bicycles. Your typical
adult bike tires more often fail from sidewall cuts or road
debris.

Outside of failure, many riders change to a new pair of
tires from fashion, width change (as you intend) or, on road
bikes, a flat-top tread that's become slower but not really
worn out.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #8  
Old April 7th 20, 01:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 136
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 19:55:23 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 4/6/2020 6:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of
getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?


Probably more but in my experience worn-through-tread is a
failure mostly found on children's CB bicycles. Your typical
adult bike tires more often fail from sidewall cuts or road
debris.


Interesting. Maybe it's not within the realm of what you consider
typical adult bike tires, but the last half dozen tandem tires
I've replaced have all been the rear--and due to cord showing on
the center of the tread. My wife and I stand to climb quite a
lot, so that may be a factor in the wear.

As an aside, it's always the rear that needs replacing, because
when it's time to change I rotate the old front tire to the back
and put the new one on the front.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
  #9  
Old April 7th 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13,447
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On 4/7/2020 7:31 AM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 19:55:23 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 4/6/2020 6:17 PM, Andy wrote:
I use my mountain bike mostly on roads and am thinking of
getting some road tires.

Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?


Probably more but in my experience worn-through-tread is a
failure mostly found on children's CB bicycles. Your typical
adult bike tires more often fail from sidewall cuts or road
debris.


Interesting. Maybe it's not within the realm of what you consider
typical adult bike tires, but the last half dozen tandem tires
I've replaced have all been the rear--and due to cord showing on
the center of the tread. My wife and I stand to climb quite a
lot, so that may be a factor in the wear.

As an aside, it's always the rear that needs replacing, because
when it's time to change I rotate the old front tire to the back
and put the new one on the front.


Yes, that's right. And not only tandem rears. Some riders
just eat tires (and chain and brake pads and so on). You
know who you are.

Atypical, which is why tire designers leave you outliers out
of consideration.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #10  
Old April 7th 20, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 136
Default Road tires versus mtb tires

On Tue, 07 Apr 2020 08:34:41 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 4/7/2020 7:31 AM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Mon, 06 Apr 2020 19:55:23 -0500,
AMuzi wrote:
On 4/6/2020 6:17 PM, Andy wrote:


Will the tread last as long as mtb tires ?


Probably more but in my experience worn-through-tread is a
failure mostly found on children's CB bicycles. Your
typical adult bike tires more often fail from sidewall cuts
or road debris.


Interesting. Maybe it's not within the realm of what you
consider typical adult bike tires, but the last half dozen
tandem tires I've replaced have all been the rear--and due to
cord showing on the center of the tread. My wife and I stand
to climb quite a lot, so that may be a factor in the wear.


Yes, that's right. And not only tandem rears. Some riders just
eat tires (and chain and brake pads and so on). You know who
you are.

Atypical, which is why tire designers leave you outliers out of
consideration.


Nice! I've always suspected I was an outlier, and now I've got
evidence!

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tires T-Mobile Continental GP 3000 Tires Scott Morrison Marketplace 1 August 29th 07 10:59 PM
Bontrager Race X-lite versus Continental GP3000 tires Bob Palermo Techniques 36 August 25th 06 06:14 PM
FS: IRC Road Tires Frankie Talllarico Marketplace 0 June 18th 05 02:05 AM
Wide Mt. Bike Tires vs. Thin Tires [email protected] Mountain Biking 17 April 12th 05 06:13 AM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.