I become a crank

Old November 1st 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
slide

Default I become a crank

Surgery to repair the latest injury - a broken back - has made riding
any conventional diamond frame bike uncomfortable. Since some of my
spine no longer bends, I need to hyper bend the rest of it to be able to
see ahead. Also the general bendy position is pretty miserable.

I'm not willing to become a full on old crank and get on a 'bent so my
compromise is a Rans CF. The one I chose is called a Dynamik - sort of a
bit of a hybrid and a bit of a CF mountain bike. I'd have preferred it
come with 29" wheels, but I wonder if I'd really notice the difference
between its 26" and the 29's.

I borrowed a friend's to try it and liked the practicality of the entire
thing. Here is my first bicycle since childhood which didn't really
demand a full on 'get up' to enjoy. Street clothes work well as do
normal walking shoes although I suppose bike shoes would be slightly
better due to the stiff sole. In fact, my friend tells me that bicycle
specific pants impede you on this sort of bike.

My friend made the comment about how much fun bicycles are when they are
comfortable instead of torturous exercise devices. I am coming over to
his POV. Too bad Sheldon's no longer around. I'd be curious to hear his
take on this sort of bike.

Any of you guys tried one?

-paul